Unknown bass preamp wiring

weaponepsilon

I acquired a fretless project from a couple not terribly far from me.  The brother died and left a pile of unfinished projects.  What I got was an Ibanez 400 FL fretless bass with no installed electronics.  It came with knobs and a case but the biggest surprise was a mysterious preamp that appears to be mostly wired.   Its assumed to be the intended project components.  So i need help trying to identify it so i can verify everything and get it wired in.   There no number or markings.  Any help appreciated.

20220609_205951.jpg

20220609_205912.jpg

Could be anything unfortunately. I have a Bartolini wiring kit here that has a similar sized preamp case as yours, but the potting epoxy used is black instead of red and the wiring leaving the box comes out one of the sides instead of the top. Plus it has a sticker on the side identifying it as a Bartolini product.

It's not Ibanez's original wiring harness from the bass itself by any chance?

25 minutes ago, curtisa said:

It's not Ibanez's original wiring harness from the bass itself by any chance?

I dont think it is.   It may not even be intended for this bass at all.  The family just grouped thins together.   The guy had interesting projects such as "the stratobass"  - a pbass short scale neck on a strat body.  

Edited by weaponepsilon

This website appears to have the best (only?) info out there on the Reflex pickups:

http://spongeoffun.blogspot.com/2011/05/resurrecting-some-reflex-red-pickups.html?m=1

Reading between the lines it sounds like the preamp was just a single function box that worked in any guitar or bass. It looks like it accepts any generic pickup signal and allows you to control volume and mid/high boost. The last diagram on the page is the easiest to read and includes the wire colours and two example applications.

• 1 year later...

So if anyone cares, I packed the bass away last year and came back to it jist now.  After some research, I believe I understand the intent the project was heading.  The OG electronics had a Vol/bass/treb knobs.  This one was modified and looks like it was intended to follow the Reflex preamp system but with an added blend knob in place of a switch.  I think if i glance over the schematics again, I'll have a unique custome fretless.

Apparently I forgot/didnt read what you said Curtisa.  Looks like I repeated what you said a year ago.  I want to add some of the troubleshooting involved janky solder joints, broken wires, and my blind trust that someone knew what they were doing.  Inspection of the mess that lay before me revealed that I probably shouldve started rewiring pots from scratch with new wiring.  Complicating that with my poor excuse for soldering skills and worn out soldering gun.  Sigh.  Live and learn...the hard way.  

• 5 months later...

Final update.  I tried to rewire and solder down everything but only got partial sound.   I went ahead and just pulled out the Reflex preamp and pots. It was replaced with a Tone Monster sbk-3ad prewired preamp since I wanted a fresh start on it.  Yes, it was a little more than I wanted but it solved the issues I was having.  Having dual stacked pots have turned this fretless into a beast worthy of someone else who actually knows how to play it.