Where do you get your inspirations or ideas for your designs?

woodfab

You seem to have quite interesting ideas, the aluminium one is just great!

AFA upholstered silk, it's not technically far from the furry ones used by ZZ Top or the leather covers used by several musicians since the 50's. Or the Paisley Tele which has a sheet of paper glued on the top and covered with clear coat - originally a paper napkin if the story is true.

The biggest issue with textile on top is most likely wear. If there's visible stitches, they can grab and snap. And the seams will gather dust which can be sharp enough to eventually cut the yarn. So the right choice of materials is crucial for longevity. Parachute "silk" and the yarns used for sewing them might be a good choice...

Interesting! Ideas like that really seem to make my brain work!

On 11/6/2022 at 1:38 PM, woodfab said:

I seem to get most of my ideas in dreams.

I built a few of them but I still have a few I haven't built.

One I had was an upholstered guitar maybe a silk fabric, Ya I know it sounds crazy but, if done right I think it could be cool!

i get a lot of ideas from daydreams.  meandering thoughts.

upholstered guitar - on the one hand crazy, on the other-  not as crazy as you might think.  I guess not really upholstery but the pink paisley is certainly similar.  similarly the jem 77fp used fabric intended for curtains.  zztop had someone create a furr guitar... altho also tech not upholstery.  i believe fender did a tweed/deluxe tele quite a few years ago and I have seen several since including one of the members here who recently did a lovely tweed tele.  

pretty sure there is a high end builder who did a silk dragon fabric top guitar but his name escapes me.  Starts with "R"?  Have often thought of doing a jem and using some sort of silk flower fabric... would be pretty cool. 

I will def follow your thread if you do so... looking fwd to seeing what avenue you take.