Pickup Wire Source info

spindlebox

50AWG is super fine stuff. Half the diameter of 44AWG, which is generally considered the de facto wire size for overwound pickups. Your chances of breaking it while winding are pretty high. Small wire might yield more turns per bobbin resulting in a hotter output, but it will be at the expense of higher resistance and inter-winding capacitance, which results in loss of highs and higher loading effects from the downstream circuitry (eg, volume/tone pots, the amp input etc). You sure you want to do a pickup with such fine windings?

Anything smaller than about 45AWG starts to get a bit esoteric and hard to find. You won't get it from any pickup suppliers. You'll have to extend your search to specialty coil winding suppliers. Doing a search for '<insert AWG here> enamel copper wire' will yield results on Google, but be prepared for the the prices to match the rarity of such a product.

11 hours ago, curtisa said:

50AWG is super fine stuff. Half the diameter of 44AWG, which is generally considered the de facto wire size for overwound pickups. Your chances of breaking it while winding are pretty high. Small wire might yield more turns per bobbin resulting in a hotter output, but it will be at the expense of higher resistance and inter-winding capacitance, which results in loss of highs and higher loading effects from the downstream circuitry (eg, volume/tone pots, the amp input etc). You sure you want to do a pickup with such fine windings?

Anything smaller than about 45AWG starts to get a bit esoteric and hard to find. You won't get it from any pickup suppliers. You'll have to extend your search to specialty coil winding suppliers. Doing a search for '<insert AWG here> enamel copper wire' will yield results on Google, but be prepared for the the prices to match the rarity of such a product.

YES, because until I do, I won't know what it's like.  It's for a customer and I like a challenge.  Bare Knuckle Has their "SINNER" line which boasts 15-20K per, they must be using wire like that.  I have a few messages out to wire manufacturers right now, so we'll see what I find out.  I'll post here in case anyone is curious.