Noise Gates

daveq

I have a noise gate built into my G-Major but am considering looking into a separate unit. The main reason why I'm thinking about it is that I would like to be able to use my Rockman distortion generator. It sits collecting dust now since it's just too noisy for my taste. I really like the sound of it (minus noise) and would love to make it part of my rig again someday. I've noticed that some people who use them also use a Rocktron Hush unit for each Rockman in their rig.

I think I remember reading that the location of the noise gate on the G-Major is not actually on the input (I could be wrong) so I'd need another unit to quite things down as the signal enters my time/modulation effects.

So my long winded quesiton is - will a Rocktron Hush (or similar) end up creating other problems for me and defeat the purpose? Will it ruin the attack, sustain, ... since I'd need to use farily heavy settings due to the extreme noise from the Rockman?

Thanks - I've tried it with the G-Major but the noise introduced by the Rockman is too much. Again, I think the noise gate on the G-Major is intended for a different purpose than quieting the input signal. I seem to remember that it is located in an unusual place in the chain which would explain why it doesn't filter much of the Rockman's noise. It's a shame that Sholtz didn't pay more attention to the noise.

It reduces noise from effects or just noise picked up on cables and equipment. There's a fine line in my experience where they turn from useful/helpful to stealing some of your signal's dynamics. I'd hate to spend $150 + on one just to find out that the Rockman is not tamed well by one of these Rocktron Hush units. On the other hand, I hate to see my distortion generator just collecting dust.