Fret install - before/after carving?

spindlebox

I've only built two guitars so far, but the first one I installed frets BEFORE I carved the neck, and it was way easier.  The second time around, I had to make a kind of "cradle" for the carved neck to support it the second time when I installed frets AFTER carving, and it still wasn't perfect, and wanted to bow away as pressure was applied. 

Are there any pros/cons to either way?  Which way do you do it and why?

Thanks in advance!

Both ways are commonly used and it's mostly about personal preferences. And then some install the frets before gluing it on the neck and some others cut the slots on a semi-finished neck. No right or wrong here!

Let's talk about pros and cons of each method.

• First option, installing the fretboard and frets before shaping the neck is very easy as you don't have to worry about supporting the neck. But if there's hidden tensions that make the neck warp while carving you're in big trouble.
  • Second option, carving the neck at least roughly before installing will reveal most warps so you can react accordingly. But as you said, extra support is required. A block with a padded groove will do.
  • Third option, installing the frets on the fretboard before gluing is as easy as the first one or even easier as the fretboard is more flexible. But aligning it on the neck may be a bit more challenging as you can't use locating pins through a couple of fret slots. That can be done from underneath, though. A heavily bent fretboard may also require more thought to clamping.
  • Fourth option, cutting the slots after the neck is at least partially carved has the benefit of #2 considering warping, plus you can fix any location issues. But cutting slots with a hand saw isn't as easy as using a mitre box with a template or a pre-cut fingerboard.
  • Fifth option, combining #1 and #4... Ease of locating, difficulty in cutting and risk of warping.

I may have missed an option or two but the pros and cons most likely are similar to those above.

Oh, and I use pre-slotted fretboards which I glue in place as the first task, then I roughly shape the neck and finally bang the frets in using a support underneath. I don't have a mitre box or such whereas our "teacher" has both a circular saw and a CNC for cutting the slots. I'm tempted to get a razor saw but then again why bother.

I believe I have done it all the ways mentioned above. No clear preference. Although slightly leaning towards the way I have done it for the last two fretboards. That is fretting before glueing the fretboard. Then carving. 

12 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

But aligning it on the neck may be a bit more challenging as you can't use locating pins through a couple of fret slots.

If you’re not afraid leaving the pins in the neck it shouldn’t be a problem. On my last two necks I used 0.8mm stainless steel pins that I inserted after cutting fret slots but before fretting. I then lifted the fretboard and fretted it. Pins stayed in the neck. Before glueing the board in place I made sure that the protruding part of each pin was short enough not to touch the fret tangs. About 4mm in my case. If you don’t want to leave pins in you can fret all but two slots before gluing. And fret the remaining two slots afterwards.

• Like 1

As I said, "a bit more challenging". Another trick is to drive a couple of small nails into the neck and cut them with regular cutting pliers with the slanted cutting edge. That will leave the protruding nail end long enough to mark the bottom side of the fretboard when pressed. That mark can then be drilled a tad deeper to allow the nail sink in. I tried that with plastic side dot pins which worked fine enough for marking but didn't protrude enough to easily find the right location. I should have left them more proud. But that's fine tuning, no fault in the original idea.

Thanks everyone for their input and great comments!!

I think based upon this info I have decided to try the following:

1) As I have a miter box that only allows fretboards, I'll cut the fretboard and then I'll add the frets directly after.

2) I'll at least - PARTIALLY - shape the neck, to see if any movement occurs.

3) I'll either finish shaping the neck or attach the fretboard - I can add locating pins where I am going to drill out for dot inlay.  I don't like doing it where the frets are anyway.  I'm not very good at that, and it seems to always leave some kind of mark.

If I'm going to do some sort of other special inlay, I'll have to do that BEFORE I install frets, but before I attach to the neck - and then I'll do something else for locating pins - SALT?

4) I'll finish shaping and profiling.

Edited by spindlebox

Sounds like a plan.

Regarding locating pins, as I tried to describe earlier it can be done without sacrificing the surface. Drive a pin or nail in, locate the fretboard and hit with your fist to mark where to drill. You'll easily find the pins even with a layer of glue. And you don't have to worry about potential chemical reactions.

image.png.b5c4e08a7b669ea0c1da0a72daa94d1b.png

• Like 1