Headless Guitar Build

Having grown tired of my previous build and grown obsessed with headless ergo guitars. I decided to work on a experimental build. 

Thus far I have got the body and neck made. 

The body is chambered walnut/maple with a richlite top. Neck is 5 piece walnut maple with richlite board. 

I am going with a completely flat fingerboard. After realizing that I prefer a 16"+ radius, I figured "Why not go to infinity?"

The body is absolutley strandberg-esque, but it is significantly smaller as I feel that strandbergs look a bit goofy with their sprawling horns and armrest. 

1 minute ago, ghostdive said:

Richlite top, very interesting...looking forward to seeing this take shape!

Yeah, the only other build I have ever seen with richlite on the body was the Avanc 8 string on youtube. Only downside is it is a heavy material. I'll be pushing 5 lbs with this which is a bit more than I hoped.

• 3 weeks later...

wow, somehow missed this thread but has a look of cool going on.  where does one even buy richlite for tops?  I've seen the cool fretboard carves on them with the crazy patterns... def on my todo list... would be cool to do a 5/8 carved top out of it.  

anywho, headless looks great.  s/b a killer look with all that flat black.

• 1 month later...

Alright. So I wasn’t happy with the walnut maple combo, so I started over with cherry replacing walnut. Got a bit farther and then decided it was too “busy”. I have since completely started over with simplicity in mind.

1 piece walnut body

Semi-birdseye maple neck with rosewood fretboard. I found the maple while perusing home depots hardwoods as I often do with my moisture meter. I don’t really know what else to call it.

The non-chambered walnut and maple build is already lighter than the chambered version. Richlite is super dense.

Call me crazy with all the restarts. I just don’t want to “waste” expensive hardware on a guitar that I don’t like.

59D71EBA-DE00-41F2-820F-45CB154CFCA5.jpeg

38A8B83A-AC9C-484F-8674-513510A2AF38.jpeg

1C71621B-CB4C-4D21-AE18-2530801D941F.jpeg

0D78ECF5-066D-4B6D-9E21-B25F3FEAE4B1.jpeg

8ADE07ED-0CDB-4997-A2A0-71E9CFC4BD67.jpeg

4FF62B9A-BC68-4EBF-B774-56C308FD1D03.jpeg

• Like 2