Right To Left-Handed

Let's jump right in. These are the changes I need to make to reverse this guitar entirely.
5eScratch.thumb.jpg.cbef30ff0fdf8c17a42874aa094de10c.jpg

Why the tuners? I've already swapped the originals for locking tuners, for no real reason other than I just wanted to. I had them from a previous guitar (R.I.P) so YAY, money-saver. I also have a left-handed nut from the same previous guitar (R.I.P), but removing the current nut looks like a very delicate job, so I'll be leaving that in the capable hands of anybody else. It's not like I can put my foot through the neck joint and have it pop out like the last one.
3cRefit.thumb.jpg.6e7779084922eef472a546a6aa7e8e8d.jpg

4dRefitBack.thumb.jpg.84c8abb0b7f53158ebce06a780d31c28.jpg

The above two photos are the points of reference for routing locations and their relative positions to everything else. I could have just used dots, but I felt lines were more precise. I have no idea why. It makes me look like I know what I'm doing? Pfft. Sure. Think what you want.

And finally.

1aOrig.jpg.c400b2035f2794d0b91608acd2a61c86.jpg

2bFlip.jpg.92200a4c52c8c03e40be1af0fa2d9b0b.jpg

This is the simplest of all my "diagrams" and is basically, the end product. Which brings me to an important issue. That brown splotch. The cavity under the cover isn't that large, so leaving it as is doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. If I were to fill it, I'm guessing resin would be my best bet. Anyway, resin or not, plans have always included covering the damn thing with stickers - Tasteful, not glue-sniffer "HOLY S**T! THERE'S STILL SOME YELLOW SHOWING!" level - so most of the imperfections will be covered. ("It will still be left-handed." Shut up.)

So, there's that. I'll keep you posted.

The nut shouldn’t be hard to remove. Personally I don’t usually use any glue but I guess many people use a drop or two to initially hold the nut in place. It should come off with lightly tapping with a mallet. Or rather a small piece of wood. If the nut was installed prior to painting/clear coating you better score around it with a x-acto knife to prevent damaging the finish.

1 hour ago, Lucius Paisley said:

That brown splotch.

Why bother doing anything? Just get another black plastic cover, contrast and symmetry always look nice. Use magnets so you can open it with ease and store some plectrums in there.

2 hours ago, henrim said:

The nut shouldn’t be hard to remove. Personally I don’t usually use any glue but I guess many people use a drop or two to initially hold the nut in place. It should come off with lightly tapping with a mallet. Or rather a small piece of wood. If the nut was installed prior to painting/clear coating you better score around it with a x-acto knife to prevent damaging the finish.

The nut appears to have been glued right into place. I had to tap from the front to get it loose. The tiniest sliver off the top of the headstock came with it. The other nut, while cut to the same string distances, is slightly wider. I guess I can either have the guitar guy file it to the same size. Or I can check the size of another spare. It's a black Tusq nut, but if the string distances work out to be the same, we're back in business.

Not sure why you would waste the time on that? It would be quicker to make a new body the correct way since you plan to make that many adjustments to the original body. Just remove the neck and reuse it on the new body.

Just my 0.02 cents.

MK

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MiKro said:

Not sure why you would waste the time on that? It would be quicker to make a new body the correct way since you plan to make that many adjustments to the original body. Just remove the neck and reuse it on the new body.

Just my 0.02 cents.

MK

To prove a point.

How would it be quicker to make a new so-called "correct" body than to use the body I have AT THIS VERY MOMENT?

"that many adjustments" - all that's left is route a new cavity, drill holes for potentiometers and output, apply nut, swap over the electronics, restring then retune and intonate.

Five things.

Versus remove neck, source a new body, do some of those things I mentioned above, then go through all the bulls**t involved shaping the pocket of a left-handed body to fit a RIGHT-HANDED neck and glue that in place, fit bushings, route cavity for the pickup, and so on.

And that's "quicker"?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lucius Paisley said:

To prove a point.

How would it be quicker to make a new so-called "correct" body than to use the body I have AT THIS VERY MOMENT?

"that many adjustments" - all that's left is route a new cavity, drill holes for potentiometers and output, apply nut, swap over the electronics, restring then retune and intonate.

Five things.

Versus remove neck, source a new body, do some of those things I mentioned above, then go through all the bulls**t involved shaping the pocket of a left-handed body to fit a RIGHT-HANDED neck and glue that in place, fit bushings, route cavity for the pickup, and so on.

And that's "quicker"?

Like I said, to me it would be faster to make a new body or just turn it over like Jimmie did..  I have built a Strat from scratch other than the neck in about 24 hours so it is not beyond me. Too each his own I guess. Have a good one.

MK

• 3 months later...