Build Checklist

I did a search but didn't find anything, but did see quite a bit of conversations about it.  I wonder if anyone has ever compiled a list - checklist - of a guitar build from start to finish?  It would be helpful to have and I'm thinking of doing one myself.  I think it would be good to have neck and body, and then final assembly.

Any thoughts on this, or any resources?   I thought this might be helpful and/or fun.

Cheers!  Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

I document all of my builds from start to finish, including times for processes and labour costs. Part of my quotation includes a full bill of materials. When I get on the PC later I'll post an example 👍

I'm guessing you're talking about materials and parts, as opposed to order of procedure, labour times and tools required. Order of procedure really depends on the builder, people like to do things in different order. Labour times probably vary wildly - I'd bet I do my fretwork a lot slower than most professional luthiers!

- Jam

4 hours ago, Akula said:

Order of procedure really depends on the builder, people like to do things in different order.

So true! And it's not only about liking, it's also about either forgetting to do something at a convenient stage or fixing a bugging flaw.

That said, a checklist in a somewhat chronological order could help at least myself. A week between workshop hours and everything packed for storage and transport doesn't help remembering the next phase. For some tasks multiple locations in the list might make sense, in the style of "If you have bypassed this, how about now?"

I'll start with a simple bolt on one piece neck with true oil list. Interesting to compare to others. Optional steps in parentheses. Hope I didn't miss anything obvious. :D

- Glue up body blank

- (Glue up top wood)

- Route body shape

- Route cavities, drill holes (minus the bridge)

- (Belly cut)

- Sanding

- Cavity cover routing and thicknessing

- (Dye)

- Oil, oil, oil

Neck:

- (Angled headstock)

- Route truss rod channel

- Route neck shape

- Frets slots for fretboard

- (Inlays)

- Glue fretboard

- Route fretboard flush with neck shape

- (Inlays), fret markers

- Fret install

- Headstock thicknessing

- Neck shaping (+volute)

- Sanding

- Drill for tuners

- (Fret markers)

- (Apply logo)

- Fretwork

- Oil, oil, oil

- Final assembly

- Measure bridge position, drill for bridge posts/screws, install bridge

- Nut

- More fretwork

- Final setup

- Rock

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MXq1XGZaBv-wqxqv53c0wFu2QgLKi2Kzzp5NUSPhdNA/edit?usp=sharing

https://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/55163-jam-winter-builds/

Here's a documented, day-by-day progress log of my last Tele-inspired build. The link for the forum post is underneath, includes two other builds in the same thread but mostly the same processes. 

Hope these help! 

- Jam