Toggle Switch Faliure

AbramT80

I’ve got an EMG equipped guitar with the solderless system hooked up and the solderless toggle switch wasn’t working. I took it out, cleaned it gently with a brush, reinstalled and tried again still nothing. I took it out again, I checked that the bent spring leaf parts are making contact and both sides DO make contact. That’s about the extent of my electrical knowledge, any suggestions?

IMG_3865.jpeg

In the middle position both sides should make contact, like it appears to be in the picture. When the switch is flipped, only one side should make contact.

What is the actual problem? Are both pickups always on, or are re you not getting any sound? Or there is sound only from one pickup?

Just now, henrim said:

What is the actual problem? Are both pickups always on, or are re you not getting any sound? Or there is sound only from one pickup?

Only one pickup will is giving any sound, neither the middle or opposite position work. I checked and flipping the switch in either direction still makes the proper connection between the spring leaf parts.

Im pretty sure that’s not the problem, I’ve got a couple guitars with EMGs in them and one had the “problem switch” installed, I then swapped for a new one and everything works great. I’d like to be able to use the problem one in a different guitar now. 

I had a guitar in the shop a little while ago with that issue - the neck and middle positions weren't working because they guitar had always been left in the bridge position allowing the connectors on the otherside to become oxidised, eventually enough to prevent conductivity. 

A fine piece of sand paper (I used 320), put it in between the connection for the pup that isn't working and a couple of pulls on either side will remove the crud. 

This can be prevented in future by leaving the guitar in the middle position so both connectors are always touching

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

A fine piece of sand paper (I used 320)

I assumed from the first post that the contacts were already cleaned. But that oxidation can be rather stubborn. If you go with abrasives, go lightly. I’d say 320 is on the coarse side. It also eats metal, not just oxidation.

Non abrasive way to remove oxidation from copper is to use chemicals, like salt-vinegar mixture. Better just not leave any residue in.

Edited by henrim
  • Like 1