Nuts....

Hi Stalefish and welcome to the forum :D

You can get all sorts of pre slotted nuts of course. The big thing is to make sure the one you get is the correct width for the neck. Something to keep in mind as well would be some nuts have to be trimmed even though they are made for a specific neck width such as the Earvana nut's which actually screw onto the neck as opposed to gluing.

...the Earvana nut's which actually screw onto the neck as opposed to gluing.

Just a small correction Brian. The Earvana nut doesn't really screw into the neck. It comes in two parts, the bottom piece glues into the nut slot and then the compensated top piece is screwed into the bottom.

nutsketch.gif

• 1 year later...
Are there any benifits of having a roller nut? Are they any downs?

Well, the idea behind it is that if you do a lot of bending or tremolo work, it keeps the string tension on the playing side and the tuner side of the nut even and keeps the string from catching on the nut or being pulled by it and helps the guitar remain in tune.

I've always kind of thought it was marketing babble because I've always played a tremolo strat with a normal nut and have never had problems with it going out of tune (stays in tune for months).

I think they look stupid, but that's the only negative I can think of :D.