bigsby tremelo

Snork

i deduced that i am not going to be using a floyd rose bridge. There are just too many tuning issues. what about a bigsby i saw that it runs through a tune o matic plus it has a retention bar. so when a string breaks im sure the whole guitar wont go out. or when you bend or pick near the bridge you wont go out either. right? can someone list out the benefits of a bigsby trem? or should I just not bother with the trem. as it is quite expensive. plus i think it would be really funny to post a carved top jem with a bigsby trem on jemsite and seeing their reactions. anyway thats besides the point im nearing completion and i need to order my hardware pickups are here (thank god drak) and body is routed...etc. just if i could get some last minute opinions.

Thanks,

Sam Fisher

PS: i have a spare tune o matic and stop tail so no need to rush the decision.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I'd say do the bigsby if you want a trem, or do an EVH style floyd....bend down only, and add a D-tuna. I prefer that setup. The bigsby will still go out of tune and doesnt have a very big range, whereas a Floyd does. They bigby is a virbrato, and floyd is a trem. Go into GC and check out a Gretsch 6120.

• 5 months later...

Wouldnt a roller TOM, locking tuners and either a graphite, slipstone or roller nut solve the tuning problom?

Also would it be hard to make an arm for a bigsby. I dont like the chunky standard one and the others ones dont come in black.

I have several bigsbys....including my '58 gretsch. If you have a roller bridge and a proper sized nut (I prefer bone)...the thing does stay in tune. It is NOT a dive bomber and you can pull up (tight) on the strings enough to stretch them out of tune. You can get a nice wavy tone from a bar chord...like kicking in a vintage fender (amp) tremolo (with out the click).

I have a b6, b5 and b16 and the Gretsch.

red

i think it comes down to playing style.. if you need to play "pad horsie" all day, get a floyd. if you only ever need subtle touches, or even just want the "refined" look that comes with a bigsby, go bigsby.

I like bigsby's because I think they look great.. I've got one on a 335 and it is just so cool looking.. although i'm sure some will disagree!

i think they look fantastic on SGs and smaller guitars too, but the arm is just in the way.

all that said and done, give me a hardtail TOM any day of the week.

Anyone got any thoughts on making the bigsby arm. I know there held on with just a nut, screw and a washer so would I be able to just make a hole the right size in an arm I make or even get like a floyd arm, weld on a washer so it has a flat surface with a hole in it and fit that on? Any thoughts on my way or another way of doing it?

Yeah well I was looking at them but if in the end I do go with the bigsby it will be black and I cant find them in black. They would be great otherwise. I have emailed stewmac about ordering in different colours but they said it isnt possible.

I was trying out a bigsby today, (doubt it was a genuine cause it was on a Vintage) it seemed realy stiff, is this normal?

I dont realy want a stiff trem but my choices are limited because I need a black on floating trem.

Yeah I saw that when when I read on the bigsby site that elderly is a good supplier. I was thinking of getting the b500. I just want to know if they are stiff and if you can losen them? Where can I get a thinner handle and possibly longer? How exactly you fit it (spacing wise)?

I cant get a floating trem like a floyd or anything because the body wont be thick enough.

When I was taking to the tech in a guitar shop he said that that would be realy hard to do if not impossible. I live in Ireland and there arent very many good techs here.

There is also a 9 1/2" handle which is 1/2" longer than the chet atkins handle.

Ill probably replace the stock handle with one of these. Any ideas on how to make them match black hardware as they only come in chrome.

Also any idea on the stiffness of them. Can you losen it up a bit to be as easy to use as a floyd?

Lucky1 what are your opinions on the les rem? Is that the one they sell on stew mac? How easy is it to use? I was originaly thinking about these but couldnt find any opinions on them.

Any way to make these black?