Neck Joint Question

Hey all, I got my neck pretty much finished (well, the finger board aint on yet, the back is done) and i had routed a bit of the body for the neck to sit in, it still needs to be cleaned up a bit with sanding, but i cant go down too far, with the router that my school has, and the router i own, we dont know where the correct bit it for this job, i was wondering, if i could use a chisel and chisel down a bit (it only has to go another 1/4 inch) and then sand the rest? or just sand the neck joint on the neck?

Thanks for your help

Curtis

you want a 1/2" x 1/2" template bit like so,

template,%20pattern%20bit,%2002.jpg

page 3 of the router tutorial explains it router tutorial

i would prefer getting a nice smooth wall and floor in my neck pocket using a bit, and a template, but i think wes has used a chisel, so i imagine if you spend enough time and you're carefully you can do a good job, but then again, the bit is only like 14.50$

Derek

I have most of the body routed, it only needs to go maybe not ever 1/4 inch, and its all very smooth right now, so i think i will first tryin sanding a bit (by hand, ohh joy :D ) then see how it goes, then VERY VERY carefully use a chisel for the edges to go down, then whatever

Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions

Curtis