is a preamp a problem?

ratiug

hey all, my first post:

I've got a late 70's early 80's fender twin 100 watts. I also reciently aquired a preamp called a peavey tg raxx. It's a tube pre amp. I like it because it allows me to overdrive the twin a little bit more. Without it the twin has to be at an insane volumn to just barely start to break up. Anyway I run the guitar through a bunch of boss pedals then to the preamp then the amp input. Now I was told by someone that that is not a good thing to do b/c the signal going into the twin is to much! He said typically a preamp is placed in the effects loop of which I don't have. Please tell me if I should stop doing this or if it's ok. Thanks

most inputs on amps are made to withstand 1v peak to peak. so it is a wise idea to pad down the output volume a bit but it should be fine. i have done similar things with wonderful results and no problematic issues.

If you pump too much signal into a Twin, you should be getting insane blocking distortion - if you're not, rock on and don't worry about it. Unless you're getting what sounds like a gated fuzz sound, you're just overdriving the first preamp stage, just like a Mezza/Boggie (yeah, remember, Randall got his start adding a gain stage to Fender amps).

also if you have a multileter you could measure the otuput voltage off of the preamp.. by inputing a sine wave.. say at 1khz and measure it with the settings that you are playing with currently..

Thanks all I appreciate the response.One of the music stores I do work for has all sorts of electronic measuring gadgets that I may look into for measuring the out put. In the mean time I think I will go on using it.

go ahead man i used to use a squier practice amp into a bass amp for years as long as you dont' smell it burning use it lol