1960 Vintage Strat Project

strat8.jpg

Here is the painted, sanded body. I went through in a few places around the edges, so I'll touch it up, then tint the color with a stain, then clear it tonight. I'll also finish off the neck tonight, first sealing the decal with light coats, then a final heavy coat all over.

TSL, yeah, I think I'll try the KIWI stuff on the neck. Do you know where you can get it? I would think like Walmart or anywhere would carry shoe polish.

I have finished the neck and body, except for the aging.

strat9.jpg

You can't really see it, but when I stained the paint, I went over it again to make it blotchy, mostly lightening the edges and certain areas, as if the clear coat yellowed unevenly.

strat10.jpg

You can see in this picture how smooth the finish is, and that's just outta the gun, no sanding or buffing.

strat11.jpg

strat12.jpg

I'm gonna go with a tortise PG instead, looks nicer, plus I won't need to mess with it.

What do you mean "distort the paint"? I'm gonna chip it and wear it away in some areas if that's what you mean. I'll just use tools and whatever to chip it, I think I'll over buff it to wear it away.

Relicing has begun.

I began on the back. The edge was easy to go through, but the paint is REALLY thick...

strat13.jpg

...so I had to sand the next part.

strat14.jpg

I switched to a frash buffing pad, and this part went ALOT quicker.

The color the wood turned is just from it being polished, and the compound getting into the wood, which I think looks good, however, I think I will put a light coat of polimerized tung oil on the bare wood portions. I also put numerous dings and scratches all over it, and chiped alot of the paint along the bottom edge. I'll do the treble waist portion, where it rest on your leg, the neck, and then more detaild pics.

strat15.jpg

strat16.jpg

strat17.jpg