Pickups...

Stalefish

Ok, I'm not sure if this belongs here but I'll go with it anyway.. I'm planning an LP-like project (mahogany body & neck, maple top and ebony fretboard) and I'm stuck deciding what pickups to use.. I'm looking to get a classic rock sort of vintage sound.. Also, I'm a big Strat fan so I'm hoping to get a less muddy sound than the typical LP..

Here are my choices:

-Gibson 500T (bridge) & 496R (neck)

-Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB (bridge) & SH-PG1 (neck)

-Gibson '57 Classics (both)

Some guy is selling a set of 2 '57 Classics for US$118.. For the other Gibson and SD pickups, I'll have to buy them brand new off the net..

I've tried out the LP Classic which has the 500T and 496R and I was pretty happy with the sound.. However, I heard that the pickups that they use in the stock guitars are slightly different from the pickups that they sell, even under the same model name.. Thoughts and suggestions???

I've heard good things about the Kent Armstrong humbuckers, but don't have any practical experience with'em.

I also don't see anything wrong with grabbing those '57s. Can't go wrong with that, though if you're trying to avoid 'typical' LP sound, obviously that's not the route to take.

not on yoru list but if you want plenty of cut through but still sound like a lespaul wihtout the mud the try the carvin m22's they have a chart on there to show u waht the freq response is. and i know i plug these alot to people but i don't hardly ever use any other pickups than these or the high gain bridge one, as a matter of fact i had the m22 bridge in my neck and the c22 bridge in my bridge for a warmer bridge and a brighter neck, and it does everything from blues to shred and in between never loosing the clarity i need..

My Gibson Les Paul DC came with the 492R and '57T set in it and I really liked them. They had a real nice classic rock, AC/DC and Aerosmith type sound to them. I changed them out for EMGs to get a harder sound but they were great pickups.