Locking nut AND a normal nut?

Dan

Today i was in a trade in shop ( or pawn shop for Americans :D ) and i saw what i think was a Marlin strat and it had the normal nut, but just a bit up was a locking nut. It had a locking tremolo at the bottom. I tried it out and it worked. No problems at all. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Pretty common here in the states. Schecter also had the "behind the nut" locking nut. Kahler had a few. Usually if you decide to take off the locking part, all you have are a couple of screw holes in the neck showing, which could be filled. When it's behind the actual nut, it's really just a string clamp and not working as the nut. I'd love to find one of the schecter ones and take that damn thing off and have a great strat-type neck.

Guest AlexVDL

I had a gibson once which had a schaller floyd and a locking nut behind the normal nut. But it didn't work out for me. When I do my satriani or vai divebombs the strings would pop out of the normal nut. They came back in position tho, but the whole guitar was detuned B)

I prefer just a locking nut without a normal nut in front of it. This way you get less friction so less detuning.

I had a guitar with a zero fret once and that one worked very well!! I must say it sounds better than any nut!

:D:D:D

The locking nut behind the regular nut is how my first two "real" guitars came equipped. I have a slight preference for them and here's why. I have big hands and I tend to play with my hand angled so that my finger tips are pointing away from the nut. Usually this isn't a proble, but with a typical Floyd nut what ends up happening is if I do a run in the first position (Queensryche's "I Don't Believe in Love" solo comes to mind) I gouge my fingers on the locking nut.

It's about as fun as it sounds.