Duplicolor Mirage...

Reaper

I'm looking into the Duplicolor Mirage line (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html) for my next axe. After reading the thread on acrylic poly's (http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...t=0entry77844), I just want to be sure that this stuff will work well on a guitar...

The other option is the Krylon version (http://www.krylon.com/main/product_templat...product_details), but I have no idea what's in that stuff.

Should I just go ahead and use the Mirage?

I've tried Krylon on my guitars, and have not been pleased with the results. In my experience it marks very easily, takes FOREVER to cure and is just not really very durable.

The Duplicoor, on the other hand (never used the Mirage, but have been using the 'car color' line) seems to make for a very durable, hardened finish. I have one body I painted a metallic charcoal gray a little over 2 years ago. I've never gotten a neck for it, but it's been through 2 moves, been knocked over and everything, and there's barely a mark on it. There's not even a clear coat on there yet. The Duplicolor 'car color' clear coat is what I use on top of all of my paints now. I can't say enough good stuff about this paint :D

Hope this helps

SKot

dont know if this is of any intrest, but if you wanted to do a nice job and knew someone with a gun you could get it nicely put on. the process is called Harlequin, and the dupont and other brands lack from the big name paints in the amount of different colors you see and how dramatic the color change is, ect, heres a pic of some diff colors:

harlequin1.jpg

FWIW:

I used the Duplicolor Mirage system on my battered, Fernandes LE-2 strat copy. I went with the green to purple paint kit.

As long as you have been thorough with sanding, filling and using the primer that comes with the kit, you will have good results. By following the process outlined at reranch.com and using the kit, your results should be very good. Note that you should provide AMPLE curing time (3 wks+) for best results.

A friend used the Krylon blue to purple Mystique kit on his Dinky copy and it came out nicely. He did have some problems getting adjusted to heavy output from the nozzle at first (which is why it is alway best to practice on scrap to get a feel for these things).

I think that, by working slowly and deliberately, these products can produce excellent finishes.

I am on the road now, when I get back home (this weekend) I can post pictures.

Nice one reaper, I'm after that stuff too but I lost the link :D

What you putting it on, it's going on my hollowbody strat B):D:D

I'm going to be building one of those Saga tele kits.

ASM, I'd love to be able to use a gun, but I don't have access to one.

That said, is there any extra wood prep. necessary to use automotive paints?