possible wah mod

StreamLine

well i've opened up my crybaby and i shall be modding it by replacing several caps shortly...

anyhow that's all easy and read up on.... but how about this:

i have several spare 1meg (both audio and log taper) pots lying around..... maybe i could replace the current 100k pot with one?????

i have no idea what it will sound like, but is this 'do-able'??

can i be sure it wont fry my wah circuit?

:D

thanks

Roman

yep a 1meg pot is not really a viable option on a rocker pedal unless you can get more swing out of it which you can grind down the back and front of the wah casing to get a little more swing. but essentially a 1 meg only truely works in something like my focal wah,, cause it is a set it and forget it knob that lets you fine tune in the sound over the range.

however do you need a 500mh inductor as i have one.

standard vox most of the time.. crybaby no they are usually in the 660 range. and they are thre premo ones to use if you are goingfor the clydemccoy wah sound, and the link you gave says 17.95 for them

the 500 ohm one you are showing is the crybaby and the 500mh are two different things also the 500mh doesnt' have a 500 ohm resistance its less

hmm i gues i shouldn't have thrown away al those crybaby inductors.

don't feel too bad dude, crybabies are just ok. the 10 dollar one is at the bottom of the page and is the exact part number used in vox wahs

-Vadim

btw, how is the new soldering iron coming, i haven't seen anything in a while

i see what you mean about the rocking action being not deep enough!

well i dropped the idea, but made some mods, so i'm jsut post up here in case thsi helps anyone. two easy mods to totally change the tone of a crybaby B)

now to the changes, i've read up a lot on wah mods and schematics, and armed with several resistors, inductors and capacitors i set out to mod my wah.

what i eventually settled on was a two item mod, in comparison with the 'Original' Crybaby.

i replaced the 33k resistor which is in parallel with the inductor with one that is 100k (the smaller circled component on pic); this was done to give the wah a more vocal quality, which is exactly what it gave me. the wah does not longer sound harsh and agressive as it did before. when used with no overdrive, it gives a lovely, smooth vocal tone, much like the Vox Clyde McCoy which are considered to be one of the best ever wah's by many.....

second mod was replacing0.01µF cap with a 0.068µF cap, which increased the wah range, in making it more trebly and more powerful overall., i tried several higher values, but ended up sticking with the 0.068 - it sounds great IMO.

ok basically, this is a simple mod, costing next to nothing (albeit several burns on fingers, lol); this dramatically changes teh wah's sound like i said before.

so just describe the change, imagine something like a Dimebag sig wah, or Bad Horsie, Vai's sig - it sounds closer to taht now. at the bass end notes have a fair bit of treble too - lots of definition; sounds a lot like the satch 'reverse' wah trick he does. the actual notes just has more power, the old muddiness is totally gone now.

having said that it still maintains 'Crybaby' feel and overall smooth tone; to me, this is the perfect cross between a 'vintage' wah and a modern high gain designed wah pedal, it responds wonderfully to different gain settings - very versatile.

here's the pic of the modded PCB, two changed components are circled. (the large one is the 0.068uF cap, smaller one is the 100k resistor).

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/attac...&postid=1259644

hope this is of help!

btw Vadim, ti russkiy? neuzheli eshe odin russkiy na projectguitar nashelsya? :D

:D

Roman

don't feel too bad dude, crybabies are just ok. the 10 dollar one is at the bottom of the page and is the exact part number used in vox wahs

-Vadim

btw, how is the new soldering iron coming, i haven't seen anything in a while

iron is almost doen i pulled the article cause i have someone who is going to help me patent it. i have is email in my yahoo that i got to dig up, i have been massivly prototyping it. making sure to get it all done.

hmm as far as teh inducors go. that can't be the same one used in all the vox wahs, i have two here and they don't look like that at all

but no worries.