Awesome Veneer sight

OK first off i didn't find this sight myself www.flamingoveneer.com if you go to the area where everyone has their custom websight to show their project guitar progress this guy is doing a veneer finish w/blue staine on a Ibanez 7string body..(some of you might already know who im taling about) but hebought his veneer from thi place and might i say they have an awesome selection not to menton very fair pricing...i thought Brian could place that websight in the supplys section since i didn't see it their. The guy gave very high praise about the place...and i can see why!!!! so props to the guy who found that sight :D

Field trip report, Feb 25, 2003

I went down to Flamingo Veneer (www.falmingoveneer.com) today, and met Brian, who owns the business. It is a real business. Not a dot-con. He spent 30+ minutes showing me his woods.

LOTS of neat stuff. He supplies veneers to Benedetto and English, amongst others. All kinds of woods. Maples, Sapele, Brazilian Rosewood (pre-ban, but not much left), Teak. No solid woods, just veneers.

And he showed another web site, www.veneernet.com, that has lots of pictures of the woods and veneer. BTW: This is a wholesale site, not retail. If you call them, be prepared to to buy hundreds of square feet at a time.

In the process, I picked up some smallish pieces of quilted maple for practicing with, colors and techniques. As time goes, I will post those on the web site. Too small for furniture or guitar, but perfect for my needs. He even told me how to laminate it properly.

The quilted maple on his web site is almost gone. A bit left, not much. And he had another piece of quilted maple, a sample, that I can best describe as "reptilian" in its quilting. It looked a lot like snake skin. About 1ft square, on its way back to its owner. Boo-hoo.

One thing I might suggest. If you call for wood, tell him that you are making a guitar. He has some stuff with too much wild figure for the furniture makers, but great for guitars.

Later,

Guitar Ed

You want me to spill it all? Let's see.....

Actually, most of the veneer is 1/32 of an inch. Thicker than it sounds, but you can not take a belt sander to it. Light sanding will be required. You should be able to start with 220 grit sand paper, and do it by hand, and you shuld be OK.

As for how to glue it. Elmers wood glue is good enough. If you really want to do it "right", use horse hide glue. There are ways to do it using a Veneer Hammer, or an iron. These approaches are more for existing furniture. For a guitar, he suggested a vacuum clamp approach. I am thinking of getting one of those bags for clothing storage my wife has and trying that. Also, by Wed. 5pm (CA time) you can see pictures of my first veneer press, which did not work so well. One of the things that Brian said is that consistency of weight, not in one point but all over the piece, is as important as the weight itself. He suggested getting a book on working with veneers. Probably a good idea.

Also, I would cut some of the wood into 4 inch square pieces to start with. And the wood will probably have some physical ripples in it. This is normal, so don't fret about it.

And I want to repeat one point. He has stuff that decent furniture maker would use. Too wild in the grain, too bold. But great for guitars.

Later,

Guitar Ed