Fret or fretless?

Does anyone have a fretless bass, if so do u like it, i understand they make it easier to slide up and down and it make a smoother sound. :D

I don't own a fretless bass. However, I have played them on multiple occasions, and I LOVE them. For the sound, listen to the first track of the second disc of Pink Floyd's "The Wall". Good sound to it, it will tell you what you need to know.

I like the feel. It's a bit harder to play, especially if it's unlined, but slides are effortless and the whole thing has a distinct buzzy growl that makes it really come alive when playing it IMHO.

Hope that helps!

:D

I have one also. A Fender "P"copy I especially enjoy playing it plugged into my old Ampeg B-15 Portaflex (25 watts with newer transformers). The bass is not a good choice for rock; although it works good for blues! And the fretless is particularly challenging to play clean and flat wound strings (which is what should be used to avoid damage to the fretboard) allow smooth slides.

how much does a good fretless bass with lines cost

For the sound, listen to the first track of the second disc of Pink Floyd's "The Wall". Good sound to it, it will tell you what you need to know.

I think you will find its called Hey You, and bass was played by guitartist Dave Gilmour and not their bass player Roger Waters.

anyway, fretless is great fun to play, but i only played a lined on.

I loved it!

Matt

I think you will find its called Hey You, and bass was played by guitartist Dave Gilmour and not their bass player Roger Waters.

Yeah, that's the one!! Good song, and the bass is an excellent example of how a fretless bass can be used.

Of course, as with every instrument, you can pay whatever you want for a fretless bass. You could always pull the frets on one of your current basses (or buy a squier for the purpose) and squeeze in wood or plastic fret lines.

However, I kind of like the yamaha ones, I've played them before:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=04.../base_id/115290

They're kind of low end.

You could also try a J-Bass

or you could really kick it out with a warwick

There are plenty of other options, so look around before buying. Good luck! :D