Need Help

Rich

Hey guys im restoring my 78 dean Elite and i bought one of them LP wiring assemblies off ebay and need help wiring my Pups to the pots...i can post pics later if you guys need them...everything is wired already cept the switch (which i can handle i think lol) and the pups to the pots...i also need help installing the tuning pegs...do i just put them on and screw them on or what? and what are the lil circle things for?

Thanks

Rich :D

i almost forgot! also i have a schaller badass bridge for it and i went to put the post bushing into the body and they wont fit they go in some but not all the way ...i didnt wanna force them in fearing id crack the finish or something...any help on installing those would also be appreicated!

Thanks again

need help installing the tuning pegs...do i just put them on and screw them on or what? and what are the lil circle things for?

Thanks

If they have a little place for a set screw on the side of course you'll need to screw them on to help keep them set on the neck. On the front it sounds like you have the small flat washer looking part's which go on before the front nut get's screwed down over the shaft. That part is a spacer which also helps to protect the hole going through the peg head. They really are pretty easy to figure out once you get going.

i almost forgot! also i have a schaller badass bridge for it and i went to put the post bushing into the body and they wont fit they go in some but not all the way ...i didnt wanna force them in fearing id crack the finish or something...any help on installing those would also be appreicated!

Thanks again

Does it look like you need to redrill the body? For the most part if it is just the flutes sticking out around the edge's those are made to compress into the wood and all you would have to do is tap them in ligthly with a rubber mallet.

That eliminates the need for glue and the mess associated with it.

the badass bridge has a really large insert with large flutes identical to a schaller tune o matic style.i installed those large inserts on a schecter omen 6 to replace the cheap korean model tun-o matic and what i did was (very carefully)took my dremel with the sanding spindle attachment and slightly enlarged the holes until i could safely hammer in the inserts.the tighter the better though for direct coupling purposes.be careful though as that type of insert has no lip to hide any wrinkles in the finish around your hole.by the way ever hear of erliwine guitars in austin texas?that's where i got my inserts,from mr.erliwine himself.he even looks like a legend.(if you don't know he makes guitars for zz top and dire straits among others)they are really awesome guitars in person and surprisingly his shop is very small.i think he does most or all of the work himself.his shop is about a 45 minute drive from my house.

Actully that kahler is not a trem...i thought it was when i first bought it...and damned if i can find any place to put an arm on!! but it has the locking nut so im totally confused on that lol (and thats not even all my guitars! lol ive got 20 including basses right now (looking to sell some too) )

anyway is there a way to install this bridge without routing any of the body?? i'd like to keep it AS IS body wise cause its a very coillectable guitar

if a schaller is indeed what you want to put on it(and that would be my choice)then you will probably have to enlarge the holes.i saw the guitar you are speaking of and since i only see one set of bridge holes i assume the bridge you have is a combination bridge/tailpiece.i am not familiar with how a bridge change might affect the value.if you are careful in enlarging the holes you wont even be able to tell.i suspect brian is right though and it is just the larger flutes causing the problem.my schaller inserts made a vast improvement in tone over the cheap chrome plated plastic inserts my schecter came with.i imagine your probably only talking about a half milimeter or so anyways.in truth i probably didn't need to enlarge the holes on mine but i did and i still had to hammer them in.i just wasn't comfortable with hammering as hard as i would have had to.

I have no idea what orig bridge was on this guitar..it came to me completely gutted :D It has 2 small screw size holes under the large holes and i ahve no friggin clue what kind of bridge would go with the holes

Rich B)

you should measure from the nut to the 12 fret and double it to make sure of the scale length and check that scale length with the center of the bridge holes to see if it falls center of them(+or- 1/8)because for example if the scale is 25 1/2 and it is only 25 to the center of the bridge holes then your saddles should be 1/2 away from the holes on your bridge.you might already know that but just in case...you sure don't want to put a bridge on there that will screw up your scale length.just out of curiosity i notice in one of my parts catalog that there is a badass guitar bridge that has 2 adjustment screws so you can adjust to your own scale length.is this the one you have?if so it says it is designed to retrofit the original gibson combination tailpiece bridges.i might be wrong but didn't dean use those bridges on some of their guitars?if so i bet your o.k.

just for kicks if you haven't already go to edroman.com and check out his selection of deans.he has alot of them like yours and maybe you'll see something that looks like your setup.by the way could you maybe post a closer picture of that kahler on your other guitar?i am really curious about it.

sure thing man ill post pics of any of my gear anyone wants to see....i guarantee ed doesnt have a guitar like this it's a very rare and orig dean highly prized by collectors