Laminating a body

I have some ash that is planed to 7/8". I have edge joined to form two planks approx 18" wide X 24" long with a glue joint doen the middle. I am going to glue these one on top of the other to form a body blank for a lefty SG for my future son-in-law. My questions is, right now the glued centerlines will end up on top of each other. Does anyone see a problem or weakness with the glue joints coming together like this. Thanks,

Rubin

This is just an opinion here but if I understand you correctly, you're going to glue two pieces that will form a blank wide enough for a body blank but not thick enough - then glue another one on top to get the thickness. The center line will have a glue line on top of a glue line - right? My opinion is that this will not be a problem for the following reason - the joint where the glue is will be as strong as a wide piece of wood - so each piece will not be weak by themselves. Gluing another on top will not result in a weak blank since both pieces will be as strong (if not stronger) than a single wider piece. Does that make sense?

It's a similar case with a two-piece body blank with a carved-top cap but a little different ratio. It would be my opinion that the blank would not be weak at all.

Are you going to put in a contrasting color in between them or just put ash on ash?

You got it right... I have always heard the a good glue joint was stronger than the wood itself but never put it to the test. I am using ash on ash and finishing with a deep blue burst. The deep blue-black in the outside should cover the endgrain and joint on the wood while the more transparent blue dyed center parts will allow the grain of the ash to show thru. Thanks for the help.

Rubin

I may be wrong but it's what makes sense to me. You sure I can't talk you into using a contrasting color for a middle piece (ebony or walnut, ...)? Just an idea - I'm sure it would look great without it. Post some pics when you are able - I'd like to see how it comes along. You're at a very exciting stage - I love starting on new bodies (guitars, that is - in case the wife is reading :D ).

Yeah, this is an exciting time... my other builds have been for myself. This is to be an Xmas gift for my future (by Xmas he will be) son-in-law. As far as the contrasting wood it would be a waste as you won't be able to see it once the body is finished. But thanks for the encouragement :-)

Rubin

18" wide X 24" long

holly big body batman! B) those dimensions are just shy of being able to cut each down the center and stack it on top of it's self, granted the center line would go across the body instead of up the middle but 2 bodies are better then one, and you could just buy some 10$ veneer and voila 2 bodies! but, they're just shy i think :D

gl!

It gets better than that... I had about 18" of waste from each plank. If I'd done a little planning I could have made two complete bodies with the grain going the correct direction. I get sloppy at times because I have access to a 25 hp bandsaw mill and a solar kiln. I have 200 acres of hardwood around me (ash, cherry, poplar, walnut, osage orange, mulberry etc.) My only problem is that we dried a bunch that is rough cut to 1", planes to around 3/4" to 7/8" before I started building guitars. So what I am working with right now has to be laminated for thickness. I will be out scouting this summer for some body woods to have in the mill this year that are the correct thickness.

Rubin