Cutting a body

I was orginally going to just buy a body, but i can get the wood quite cheap and i have access to a bandsaw to cut it, but im worried about the "neck pocket", how do i do this, how do i know how deep and wide to make it? :D

thanks

Neck pocket is usually routed out and as far as dimensions go, its best to have the neck you plan to use on hand or a guitar that is similar to what you are building. I guess you could also carve out a neck pocket using drill and chisels. The safest method is to make a template for your router to follow. If your neck has any angle to it, ie. you plan on installing a tune-o-matic bridge, then the template should be shimmed accordingly so the router can copy the angle you need. The most important things are to make sure you position your template squarely on the body and you have your router depth set properly. And you'd best position your bridge AFTER you've mounted your neck for proper intonation.

Sounds good!

A related concern, so as to not start another thread--

If I'm doing a carved top using the 'topographical map' routing method (using a router to stair-step it and then refine later), my feeling is that I'm better off (and maybe I MUST) routing the carve first. My feeling is that to get 'square' neck and pickup pockets, I'll have to do some mucking around to get the templates to sit properly on the body.

Is that just something I'll have to deal with, or is there a better method or a tip you could give me/us?

Greg

Sounds good!

A related concern, so as to not start another thread--

If I'm doing a carved top using the 'topographical map' routing method (using a router to stair-step it and then refine later), my feeling is that I'm better off (and maybe I MUST) routing the carve first. My feeling is that to get 'square' neck and pickup pockets, I'll have to do some mucking around to get the templates to sit properly on the body.

Is that just something I'll have to deal with, or is there a better method or a tip you could give me/us?

Greg

I'm relatively inexperienced but in my readings I've found that more than a few builders like to route the neck & pickups first then do your carve. This is my plan as well. I've even seen where some route before even shaping the body. It makes sense in that you'll have a nice flat surface for your router to sit against.

:D

I agree that in principle it seems obvious. The only concern I have, though, is tearout at the edges of the pockets. As I mentioned, I plan on doing the 'topographical' style, which uses a router. Should I not be worried about it? I'm not using a particularly figured wood (I only noticed for the first time today that if I had gotten a bookmatched pair, I'd have some decent flamed figure!) so there are no major irregularities to be concerned about, if that's an issue.

Greg