what is a 1979 p-bass worth?

nsherman2006

hi. a couple months ago i picked up a 1979 fender p-bass at a flea market for 25 bucks, with nonoriginal hsc. Its pretty roughed up, missing one tuning key(not the whole tuner, just the key, still holds a string), neck is very worn, and has a frontbow, body is chipped and scratched, missing covers for bridge and pickup, and overall in pretty bad shape, but still completely playable, and had tons of tone+sustain. I've seen ones in pristine condition for up to 1300 bucks, good condition up to 1000, but i haven't seen any examples of any roughed-up ones, except for one that had already sold and had no price listed. Does anyone here have any idea of pricing? I appreciate your help. Thanks. Neal :D

Here's what Blue Book says Neal:

P Bass 1965-1984 (CBS MFG.)

1978-1984:

98% Near Mint: $1000

95% Exc+: $850

90% Exc: $750

80% VG+: $650

70% VG: $525

60% Good: $450

Even if you go at 50-60% you got a serious bargain! The percentages are pretty subjective depending on whose grading it. If it has no repairs and original finish (even if it's beat up pretty bad) and no major cracks in the body it should fall in the 60-70% range. Collectors like 'em to look used and some will actually pay a few bucks more for a well worn instrument in good working shape. The only detractor to the price on yours (again - subjective) is that Fender was a CBS Corporation at the time of manufacture. Some don't care but others find that as a fault.

Great Catch!!!! :D

no, i don't think this was hot, as the person had NO clue what they were selling, and it was actually more of a space clearout than a flea market, but it was next to a flea market, and this person was getting rid of some stuff which came out of the garage of the former owner of the palladium(i also got a comfy tiger stripe strap for a buck), and i just happened to be in the right place in the right time :D Neal

what do you think would happen to the value if i were to replace parts that aren't on the instrument, like the bridge and pickup covers, with vintage stuff, but still nonoriginal?

It's not going to hurt if it's all vintage stuff. Old guitars and basses are funny - well the buyers are funny - some want it all original and beat up and they pay big bucks and some want them pristine only and they pay big bucks! I think it's an emotional thing for some buyers, like buying old cars and trucks.

Anyhoo.....missing parts are not good and if you replace them with parts from the same era and are up front about it if you should sell it (how much do you want???) it will help the value. Missing parts do NOT help the value at all.

Me, I'd put vintage parts on it and play the hell out of it!!!

:D

Steve

well i have a bass that's set up just right for me, and i don't think i'm going to sell this for a while, i'll hold onto it until it's value is satisfactory, but the only major part it is missing is the tuning key, the other parts i was debating replacing were the chrome bridge and pickup covers that went over the strings, but i have seen lots of these for sale without them, seems that they weren't very liked by the owners. Whatever. Thanks a lot for the help, it was just what i was looking for. Neal

I would say you should either sell the bass how it is without the tuning key, or buy a whole new set/vintage set and replace each one. Either way your going to get your moneys worth when you sell it :D

well, the real problem is that i like the bass, so i want to play it while i have it, so i need a new tuning key, but because it's not even the entire machine(it still has all the functioning parts except for the actual parts that you use to get leverage and turn, i cant really justify spending around 60 bucks or more for an entire set of replacement schaller's. I dunno, i've been hoping i'll wander across a lonely one someday. Neal :D

nsherman2006 Posted on Apr 23 2004, 10:05 AM

well i have a bass that's set up just right for me

I have 7 and I'm still looking.............Like I said Neal, I'd keep and and play it if I were you! You can never have enough bass!!! :D

I'll gather mine up tonight and get a pic. Problem is I don't have enough stands!!

well i don't really even play bass, i just fool around, i'm a backup guitarist/lead guitarist/singer(in that order), and i just like to mess around on the bass, so i don't really need more than one........i'm gonna hold onto it for a while anyway(it'll only increase in value), and see how nice i can make it without taking away any value, by trying to clean it up, make it really playable and set up right, and fix any problems, and then maybe i'll see what i can get for it. Anyway, thanks for the info, it is really appreciated. Neal

Thanks skibum!

Yeah, Daniel, the Schecter ROCKS!! That's why I'm selling my Grind. The Grind is a great bass but my ears love that Schecter sound. I had 2 of them last month and was going to keep one but ended up selling them both. I regretted it so I got another one and had a play off between the Grind and the Schecter....guess which one was the winner......