Best 6" jointer

diehardcrew

Hi, I've been looking at jointers and figured I'd ask you guys' opinions figuring some of you must own one!

I've been looking at 3 diff models:

Delta about $550 US

Jet about $550

Ridgid about $400

Anyone have any opinions on them? I don't have the model #'s in front of me, but I think it's Jet's only 6", Delta, you can tell by the price, and Ridgid I think it's their only one.

Thanks a lot.

I own the Rigid model before the current one. Basically the same one with a different base. I think it's a great model. No issues. 90 & 45 degree stop fence - plenty of power - quiet motor. I'd recommend it. Knives are easy to change as well. I've used a friends Grizzly jointer - that's a nice machine as well. Hope it helps.

I also would recommend the Rigid Jointer. After trying various jointers a friend of mine bought the Ridgid 6" planer/jointer after seeing it was on sale for 299 for the weekend. I can't speak for any of the others but his is rock solid and super accurate, I was shocked, simply because of the price. But he said it regularly sells for $399, so he took the chance, good thing he did. All it takes is one swipe or two and it's dead perfect without any gouging and when put together you can't see any light at all between two pieces. If it's the same model he had, I say go for it, because it was a breeze to use and did an excellent job.

I have a Rigid planer (13") and like it a lot - I would think that their jointer would be a good tool also. the only issue I have with them is replacement parts are not easy to get a hold of. I bought some replacement rollers (just in case I need them someday) about 2 months ago and they just showed up. Maybe all manufacturers are like that - I'm not sure?

I've been using a Delta 6" benchtop jointer (actually 6 1/8") and it's been perfect for building guitars. I think if you were planning on jointing pieces beyond 3 feet in length then you'd need a longer bed. If you're just using it for guitars - it's not a bad choice - especially for under $200.00.

Thanks a lot guys. I plan to use it for other projects as well. Since Emerson has been making the Ridgid line I figured they'd be good products, but I don't own any yet, I've just read reviews. So far they've all been good. Hey if I can save $150 or more and still have a good jointer that's great.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I was thinking of using a jointer plane, but I'm not sure how to true up lumber for my neck blanks using that vs. the power jointer. I know that back in the day that's all they had was jointer planes, etc. but I'm unsure of the best way to true up boards to glue up for my neck blank. Plus I was worried about the hardness of the woods. I'm going to cut up my purpleheart and hard maple, then I want to true them up, then glue them for the neck blank.

Thanks,

Mike