hair dryer painting

this seems rather obvious and i'm sure ya'll have tried this but i just discovered if i have a hairdryer on low heat while i'm painting i can paint just like normal but as soon as i put the coat on i hit it with the hair dryer and it seems to not only dry it before it can run,it smooths out the orange peel right away and i can hit it with another coat immediately.obviously you have to blow the dust out of the hair dryer first but it seems to work well i just did my neck and the results are fantastic.i also warmed up the neck with it too before i started.does any one know of any problems with this i'm sure you shouldn't get it too hot but it only took about 30 seconds from about a foot away on my neck.if anyone tries it(on scrap wood first)let me know how it turns out.

Do NOT do this if you're spraying laquers, all you're doing with a hair drier is drying the surface, if laquer flashes on the surface to quick, it will crack as the paint under the surface cures and shrinks, you're better off to spray in a warm area where the paint can cure through. letting the top flash to fast is not the best idea. This is where I like the 2 and 3 part paints I spray, you can use accelerator's to speed dry time, but they cure through with a chemical reaction, not air dry. You know you're cured through with them. :D

how about some info on these paints you use.obviously the whole painting thing is new to me and even though i read all the info i can find i haven't seen anything on these two and three part paints you speak of.the finishing is the hardest part for me and i am having alot of problems with these spraycans.if i can whip the finishing my life will be a whole lot better.any reccomendations you can make in products or tecqniques will be appreciated.

• 4 years later...