A couple of "nutty" questions

coolcat

Hi guys!

I know my scale length on my strats is 25.5". How come when I measure it comes out to 25.25"?

Am I measuring from the nut to the exact place where the screws are in the bridge? I have to get this right befoire I start cutting and drilling my body blank. Which leads me to the next set of questions: Having never used a router before, I tried to practice "freehand" on some practice wood. Of course, I couldn't cut a straight line with any templates, but I don't know if I'm cutting too slow or fast or whether I'm supposed to go left to right or up and down. Is there a tutorial on "how to route for dummies"? Also, I have the 1/2" and 3/8" bits, which size bit do I need to round the edges of the guitar? My books don't really specify?! Thanks for all your help! I'll be taking pictures of the progress of my project soon and posting them.

:D George

Let me address the scale length question...

The quoted scale length is based on the distance from the nut to the saddle of the High E string. Since guitars need to have the intonation adjusted (length of the string) to maintain proper pitch everywhere on the fretboard, the strings will end up being different lengths. This is achomplished by adjusting the saddles on the bridge.

So when establishing a location for your bridge, leave room for adjustment in the saddles. FYI, the high E string will be the shortest of the strings... Read up on Guitar Set-up's to get a better idea of how the intonation adjustment works. Try Gearheads - they have a great one page set-up guide.

per the routing...someone posted a good into to routing here a week or so back.. But PRACTICE ON SCRAPS until you have it right. It's very easy to loose control of a router - and that can be damaging not only to the guitar, but to you...

Yeah, don't let that router flip over on you and tear out all the tendons and veins and meat and flesh and the small fragile bones in your wrist, that would set your guit playing back a few months not to mention someone else having to clean all that crap up cuz you wouldn't be around mopping up the gorefest. :D

Only take about a 1/4" cut at any time, and hold on w/ both hands. B)

I tried to put together an all in one router tutorial kinda specific to guitar making, hopefully you'll find your answers there, it's also listed in the tools section under tutorials on the main projectguitar.com page

Router Tutorial