Bass guitar Pickup change

Hello! For those who haven't noticed, I'm new arround here :D

I Have two EMG bass Pickups, model EMG-45DC from a bass guitar that I have made some years ago. How ever, due to design errors this bass guitar was never used and these Pickups were almost forgotten...

I Have another bass guitar, also 6 string and I am wondering in replacing it's original Pickups with these ones.

The bass guitar I am talking about is an Ibanez BTB 406QM (not the perstige one). It has two passive Pickups with 18 volts active equalization.

What I am wondering about is if it is possible to change the Pickups and keep de EQ. Yes, I will have to eat some little wood to the bass, however, the question remains. Where will my EMG pickups find it's power? In the same 18 volts battery power supply? Won't it drain the batteries much faster?

Would it be better to buy another EQ circuit, from EMG for example?

Thank you very much

I think (unless emgs are different) that you don't have to supply power to the pickup itself. The only reason you need power is to boost the pickups signal in the guitar's preamp before it gets sent to the amp. In which case it shouldn't take more power than usual.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Well it deppends in what kind off Pickups you're talking about. Active Pickups Need power supply (battery) to work. These EMG pickups ARE Active... I think I will also need to change the Volume Pot and probably the Blender pot too...

Huuummm we're talking about the same thing, aren't we?

I don't know how the active pre amp on your bass works, but the EMGs preamp is inside the pickup itself. I will suggest you get the one that EMG sales. I always had used used them on my guitars, and I'he never been dissapointed.

The EMGs run at 9-27VDC but they recommend not going above 18VDC, go tot their site at www.emginc.com, they will give you all the info you might need for your application, I will recomend you redo all the wiring in your bass with EMG stuff.

That is another problem, is it worth to change the pickups in this bass and keep the EQ?

After looking at the wiring diagram (BTB406), you probably need to change the blend pot to a dual 50K(?) pot - other than that, the setup will work, but you may have to pad down the pickup outputs to avoid overdriving the EQ section. I'm also not sure about the battery life with both systems running. Obviously, an EMG EQ would be matched to the pickups right out of the box. You might call them (EMG), I've talked to them a couple of times and they're usually helpful. Juts tell the tech what you want to do, and ask him if he thinks it's feasible.

Lovekraft:

I have already sent them an email, exactely like the first post... :D

They told me that I should contact Ibanez for wiring Diagrams, something I have not done yet... however You seem to have found the stuff I'll need. Thank you very much.

Huummm, what do you mean with:

(...)

other than that, the setup will work, but you may have to pad down the pickup outputs to avoid overdriving the EQ section.

(...)

The biggest Question here is, is it worth to change these pickups, or should I wait and rebuild the other bass?... That has been puzzling me...