Effects pedals, digital multi effects units

JamesRaven23

I'm beggining to realize that playing the guitar can be an expensive hobby. I never played electric guitar before and assumed I would only have to spend a couple of hundred bucks. I figured that all I needed was a guitar and an amp. Well, I have a guitar and amp now, but it I have no effects! I thought I could get a decent sound straight through my amp and didnt realize I had to at least have reverb or distortion to get a good sound. My amp only came with the basic bass treble and drive knobs. So... now I have to buy effects and they can be pretty damn expensive... I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to buy decent reverb and distortion pedals for a reasonable (cheap) price. The ones I've seen for sale on ebay for 15 bucks got really REALLY bad reviews on the Harmony Central site. ALso, does anyone have opinions on lower end digital multi effects units? (like the zoom 505). I got a good deal on a pretty good guitar that I like and I dont want to end up sounding like total crap and possibly losing interest ... but I can't affort to spend a lot more either. I'd really appreciate your help, tips, opinions anything!

Thanks,

James

In my opinion I would say the zoom multi effects pedals would be great to get you started. Then you could always buy pedals for specific effects once you get experienced and know what sounds you like best and which effects you don't want/need. But this is just my opinion. Some other people may agree or disagree with me.

If your after a little multi-fx, i can put in a good word for the litte Alesis unit (link) and the Zoom 505 (link) / 606 (link)

All are great little units for someone new to this sort of thing and for the money the quality and range of effects is great. Still looking at around $70US though

Definitely scour ebay - im in Australia so i cant vouch for sure, but keep an eye out for the Zoom 505/606/707 units, the Korg AX1000g/1500g, Zoom GFX-4/5, Boss ME-30/50 ect ect.. you may find you can pick up a great 2nd hand unit for not much more than what you would pay for a new entry-level unit

all great units and generally found on ebay easily from poeple who are ugrading

good luck mate

- Dan

IMHO, if you are looking for something with good distortion then multi-FX pedals arent the way to go. for a cheap and very good distortion stomp box i cannot recommend the Marshall Jackhammer more stronglly. it does the heavy rock to metal overdrive section ofthings unbeliavablly well. on the other hand tho for stuff like reverb and delay i would say that digital is probablly the best way to go if your not looking to spend too much.

if i were you then id save up the cash to get a multi FX pedal and a distortion stomp box, maybe not at the same time but aim for it eventually at least

If you buy a good amp and learn how to use it, you really shouldn't need any distortion pedals. Of course, a good amp is going to run more than "a couple of hundred bucks". You might try that Behringer V-amp box - it's not exactly a Soldano, but it is cheap, and does a fair job of amp modelling for the price, or a POD if you've got a bit more cash. I'd still save the money and buy a good amp if it was me - there ain't nothin' like the real thing. :D