A few new pics

First...I made some new vol/tone knobs for my mahogany guitar. They are made from the same stock as the body, 7/8" Honduras mahogany plank. I don't think I'll part with that guitar, its real fun to play.

Mahogany

Here are a few progress shots of my current SG project. Believe it or not its a total neckthru guitar. Body is from bookmatched 2" thick Honduras mahogany blocks, no topper on this baby. The neck is made from a 4" wide block to incorporate the bridge mounts. You can see the square on the top which will later be covered by the pickguard. The rest of the neck forms a central core (4" wide and cut down to 1" thick)inside the two body wings which meet at the centerline. The two wings were first glued together with yellow carpenter's glue. Then the neck piece slid inside and epoxied in nice and tight. Its definitely in there for good.

There wll only be 1 vol. and 1 tone knob as well as pickup selector switch on the front. Input jack will be the rear strap button. I'll be experimenting with a blue voodoo style finish.

Back

Front

And here is where it all happens...my shop. :D

Shop

B) All I can do is make sure my name gets stamped on it. Thats basically the only reason why I managed to retrieve the other guitar, as well as a few honest people still in this world, :D . I'm sorely tempted to rig up an empty guitar case with plastic explosive to detonate when opened. Then read about it in the paper the next day.

Got a little hiccup to deal with. I tried a little patching job (dark brown spots) on a few seams, a mixture of slow set epoxy w/ mahogany sawdust. Must have got the mixture wrong, not enuf hardener, 2 days and its still gummy. Got some digging to do and will try it again. The finish will be fairly dark so those areas won't be visible.

I'm also going thru Autodesk Inventor tutorials in hopes of 3-D renderings of my guitars. Gonna take a while to get that down, not as user-friendly as I hoped. :D

I'm sorely tempted to rig up an empty guitar case with plastic explosive to detonate when opened. Then read about it in the paper the next day.

and then have the paper framed and put on your wall, ,above the guitars :D

I really need a digital camera. Its a pain to get my buddy over with his camera when progress is happening so fast, and equally a pain to bring the guitar over to his place. Anyhoo, I carved out the neck this afternoon. Looks and feels like the SG classic profile as well as C-shaped heel and V-cut where the headstock bend begins. Beautiful curves going into the neck.

Next step will be some strategic drilling and assembly of all the hardware to make sure everything rings true. :D I should be able to play it unplugged by tomorrow afternoon.

OK, got all the hardware mounted, strings on, a little truss rod tweaking and I'm playing unplugged now. I found out that a 24 fret guitar is much easier to intonate than a 22 fret guitar! My neckthru design seems to ring a little longer and clearer than other guitars laying around here. Lots of "good vibrations" coming thru the body of the guitar.

I'll get my buddy over with his camera tomorrow for some more pics. Been testing some analine dye on a piece of scrap. I don't see the voodoo thing happening with mahogany as I think its only possible on wide grained ash. But I got the nicest blue happening you ever seen, and most importantly, it matches the abalone inlays on the fretboard. :D I figure dying black then sanding back, then add the blue, let it dry and hit it with 800 grit, just enough to thin it out until I see the grain.