How to Achive this finish?

BLS

Nope: spray it black, then fill the grain with bright red grain filler. They then spray it with clear.

Instead of filling under the black coat to eliminate the grain showing through, they fill it afterwards to accent the grain, and the clear coats so the final finish IS smooth to the touch.

What I meant when mentioning the Voodoo finish is to show the next logical step in the progression of that finish style. While in the auction, the grain is brought out by reflections on the uneven surface, Gibson actively ACCENTS the grain with grain filler, and maintains a smooth surface even so. However, I did deserve whatever ridiculing I got. :D

Hmmm, I'm planning an ash Strat and I don't really like the plastic look of Fender's Ash Strats. What would happen if I just sprayed clear satin on it without filling the grain... Could be interesting. That's sounds a bit like my Les Paul Standard Raw Power, which only has a clear satin finish and you can actually feel the grain, I love it. Almost looks like an unfinished piece of wood...

• 1 month later...

Would you be able to do the voodoo fininsh on a mahogany body?

The gibson Voodoo dont realy have a well pronounced red so would you just use a brighter red to bring it out more or else add more coats?

Would the red not show over the black making it more purple or somewhat?

Sure: On top of your uncarved alder/ash/maple/light color wood body, glue on two veneers: first, a dark veneer like walnut, wenge, purpleheart, ebony, etc... and then a light veneer like figured maple, normal maple, etc.

Then carve the hell out of the edges to get that crazy rounding, which will leave your little dark accent line showing.

Finally, do a yellow to red/magenta/maroon/ your choice of darkish red burst, and finish with a satin clear.

I missed some filling/sealing stages, but that's the basis of that finish.

If I wanna put a finish like the voodoo on would it work with mahogany and Guanes Alve and also would it work with a laminate top of swamp ash?

What type of guitar is that above me with the 6 pots.It must be pretty rare cause most people are laugh when you say your putting 6 pots in a guitar. Im doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

A swamp ash laminate would do the trick. However, you would probably want to grain fill all the wood other than the laminate before spraying the black, so the red grain filler would only fill the ash, giving the impression that it's a solid ash body.

As for the ghost flames, it looks like he did a black body with purple flames, masked and sprayed semi-transparent silver flames, and cleared as usual. Seems if you can get the semi transparent paint, and you can do flames in the first place, it wouldn't be that hard.

this ghost flames really enchanting, isn't it?

anyone knows how to do it?

• Surface prep, sealer, grain filler, primer, etc.
  • Base coat color
  • Intercoat clear - mask off first flames
  • Transparent pearl flames in first color
  • Intercoat clear - mask off second flames
  • Transparent pearl flames in second color
  • Intercoat clear to level edges
  • Kandy transparent color coat (optional)
  • Topcoat clear to finish

Easy enough to do, not that easy to do well.