schematic question

StratDudeDan

i have never worked with coil taps before, and i can't find a schematic where i'm able to in essence isolate what one would look like, so if someone could help me out here, i need a schematic for a single coil neck, humbucking bridge (w/ each coil tapable, i was told this was possible by using a 3-way on/on/on), then to a volume pot and finally, i have my own tone circuit, so i'm looking for everything up to the volume and i don't need anything after that. hopefully, the mighty gods of guitar electronics won't look down on me and laugh at my pathetic attempts to create like the best of them...

When you say coil tap do you mean coil split? A coil tap occurs when a pickup is wound to say 6k, an output wire is created there, then it is wound to 10k and another output wire is created. Then you have a pickup that has to resistances and you can choose either one with the flip of a switch.

When you ground out one coil of a humbucker it is called a coil split. You kind of get the same affect as a coil tap but getting there is different. One of the coils is actually shut off when you split a humbucker, basically turning it into a single coil.

The nice thing about a coil tap is that it's possible to do with a single coil so you can have a strat wired up with 3 tapable pickups that go from vintage sounding to smokin' hot.

You can also try an on-on-on switch and get coil tap, series and parallel all in one switch.

Yeah...that is a good point....

Everybody does use the wrong terminology...

It would be nice to go from a mild to wild pickup....but you'd have to wind it like that....I don't know of any production pickups that do that off the top of my head...

Odds are probably coil split which is what I was really meaning

The only problem I have from going mild to wild is that I don't like the mild so I'd just leave it wild. Just my opinion. If you mean coil-tapping The EMG 89 humbucker comes with its own pots and jack, but I can't think of any single coil pickups that are tapped. If you mean coil splitting all that you need is a 4 conductor humbucker. I know DiMarzio humbuckers come with coil splitting, phase reversal, and dual sound instructions (but ironically no instructions on how to connect wires to pot and jack.)