Fretwire!

Beno

more fretwire

:D

I guess he should be more specific. I don't know if he wants something other than fret-wire, or he wants to know a good brand of fret-wire.

Some have used metal rod instead of fret-wire.

Good brand of fretwire ? Stewmac's is ok. Dunlop doesn't seem quite as good as it used to be. I'm probably going to switch over to German made fret-wire. Not sure about the quality of ALLPARTS fret-wire. I asked ALLPARTS what country their wire is made and they wouldn't tell me.

Ok, I understand. But, you really should try to buy fret-wire, because it would take pretty drastic design changes to use something else. As far as I know, the main problem with shipping products to Mexico is that Mexico wants to collect a large tax on the items, but that's just what I heard, I don't know how true that is or more details. Use the internet in every possible way to try to find, and buy fret-wire. There must be some guitar repair people and guitar makers in Mexico that have fret-wire.

I hope you find some.

Rob

I think you'd have to go with just the right diameter of nail, but then you'd have to cut slots in the fretboard that are much larger than they would be for fretwire.

You'd also probably need to use epoxy to glue them in; i'm not sure if CA or Titebond would be enough to hold a nail in a square channel. Fretwire has barbs that stick out into the wood on either side of the fret slot channel; you don't have that with nails.

The frets are not something you want to compromise on; it is the playing surface after all. I'd just scam some fretwire any way you can.

yes fretwire is quite cheap and about 4 ft shal give you more then enough, (stewmac sells them in 2 ft things and lmi in 4ft rolls),

stewmac suggests 6 feet for a guitar....you will have some left over though...i used almost all of 6 feet for my seven string

4 feet can do the job, but I can't tell you how many times I was doing a neck, thinking 4 feet should do it, then after using up 2 2 foot pieces , I still needed one more fret, so I had to take that off another 2 foot piece. Since I buy wire in bulk now, it's no big deal, except I have to bend the last 2 foot piece that I just need one fret off of, and say if it's a 7.25 radius, it could be a while until I can use the rest of that piece.

Also the fret-bending machine doesn't properly bend the very ends of the 2 foot piece of fret-wire, so you have to cut about an inch off the ends to avoid using the part that's not quite bent perfectly.

If you are bending with pliers, 4 foot should do, but if you're driving 3 hours (that's some gas money spent these days), you might as well get 6 feet to be safe.

Certainly not every repair shop will sell the wire to you, and many might not even have the size you want.

i say road trip it dude. you can pick up some peyote buttons on the way. :D [i'm not even sure if that is the right desert]

yes fretwire is quite cheap and about 4 ft shal give you more then enough, (stewmac sells them in 2 ft things and lmi in 4ft rolls),

stewmac suggests 6 feet for a guitar....you will have some left over though...i used almost all of 6 feet for my seven string

i used 4 ft and it was on a classical width neck.... i have enough left over to redo one fret, but i wasnt generous with the extra bit, i try to cut right next to the fretboard right away

like soapbar said...i usually cut the ends off because they are not radiused properly...i HIGHLY reccomend gettint 6 feet,especially on your first fret job where you are more than likely to make a mistake or two...

also if you use a tang nipper(which i suggest) to clip off the tang before you cut the fret(prevents the tang from getting distorted),then you also lose a few mm each cut

it is not worth accepting a sloppy job just because you don't have enough to do it right,and when you have to order another 2 feet because you didn't go with the reccomendations,then the shipping is going to cost you extra as well

anyway...get 6 feet....it is worth it...after all,the fret job makes the guitar...

i don't mean to be rude,but this does not look like a class fret job to me.

DSC00550.jpg

well anyway...on my carvin neck...the first fret is 1 3/4" long...the 22nd fret is 2 1/4" long...so at an average of 2" per fret that is 44 inches for a 22 fret guitar...with 2 pieces at 2 feet a piece...that only leaves 1" that you can cut off the ends to get around the imperfectly radiused ends...and that means you need to be damn perfect with what is left over

on a 24 fret guitar...no way...and on a seven string not happening either.