Neck too large for body cavity

Hi all, really simple question:

I've bought a strat copy body and a generic strat dimension neck, I checked that one would fit the other with the vendor prior to buying them. However, they arrived in the post today and the neck is fractionally too large to go in the neck socket, I would say by about 1-2mm max.

Is it OK to just sand away at the cavity until the neck fits? How snug should it be in the hole? Any tips for doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm OK, so after a few minutes sanding the neck now slots into the cavity. However, the existing drill holes in the neck are too far off to one side for the screws to line up. Bummer. I assume if the neck fits in the hole that it's going to be centred for the guitar, so does this mean I have to drill new holes in the neck? This could be tricky because the existing ones are only maybe 1-2mm out of whack so they'll be too close to where the "proper" holes will be.

Help!

you should have sanded the same amount of work from each side of the neck cavity. The concern now is that your neck is off center if the holes aren't lining up. If it is off center, you'll want to shim one side of the cavity and sand away the other side until it fits. If you don't care about it being centered then your only real option is to dowel the neck bolt holes and redrill as was already mentioned.

Ah thanks - I see... Obviously I want the neck to be centred, but my concern was that the existing holes in the neck aren't drilled central if you see what I mean. They certainly don't look like they're centred in the neck, one pair of holes is visibly closer to the edge than the others.

So was worried that if I sand away at one side of the neck hole to make the neck fittable, it would still be off centre for the body.