Shellak, Shellack, Shellaq

:D Hi there,

I'm working my way through my first refinishing project. I decided to try this first before I built my own guitar from scratch. It's been a learning experience throughout but this forum has been helpful reading along the way. The body is a jackson soloist type with three humbuckers. I did a flame maple veneer drop top that I bought from Brian (Beautiful stuff, thanks!) It's an ashe body. The whole thing came out quite well. I was wondering if it would be cool to just shellack it as a finish and it would be good? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Shellac has been used as a finish on classical guitars for 100's of years. I know that it's preferred on that sort of guitar because it tends to be thin and allows the wood to project well while protecting it at the same time.

I see no problems using shallac on an electric at all. I've seen some nice furniture finished with it and it looks good to me. It would be a nice alternative to spray on finishes if you don't want to fool with that. And, hand rubbing a shallac finish would be a nice alternative to see.

shellac is great...i wipe it on with a rag,let it dry,then clean and repeat until it is thick as i want it...THEN i add a nitro topcoat,because shellac will dissolve if alcohol is spilled on it(yes,any kind of alcohol)

but if there is no chance of alcohol spilling,then by all means go for it...as easy to apply as tung oil,and more protection

hi..

i know Shellack for Classic guitar..

Reason is thin finish..

Classic Guitar is solid wood Top's vibration is very important..

so.. thin finish is need..

but electric Guitar is not to same Classic Guitar..

can you seal shellac with poly? and does it fill pores?

can you seal shellac with poly? and does it fill pores?

you can seal shellac with anything you can think of, it's the ideal connection between an oil finnish and a poly or laquer on top of that.

wes, what kind of rag do you use to add the shellac?

just an old piece of a lint free cotton t shirt

if you are going to do that you can take that piece of t shirt and tie it in a ball around foam rubber(like you get in packages sometimes)

then it soaks up the shellac,and distributes it as you press gently onto the surface...

look up french polishing tecqniques...you can adapt them to what you are doing