Getting rid of Floyd. . .

Hey all,

I am redoing a Dean - Eighty Eight. I have a passion for making things custom, or just to modify. I am getting rid of the Floyd Rose, and Putting in a string through body hardtail bridge. This body isnt routed like a normal floyd rose guitar, it does NOT have the ressessed cavity for the floyd rose to sit in, its just a hole for the T to go into, then it just sits on the body, so its not a big hole (this is in the front of the body). I was first thinking about just leaving the cavity in the BACK of the guitar where the T goes to string the bridge, and then filling the rest of the cavity were the 2 screws and the springs are for the floyd, or any trem for that matter. I was wondering if there would be a way, that I could have it, to where I can Fill that ENTIRE cavity with a couple pieces of wood and putty, and still be able to used the Eyelits like in a regular string thru body guitar. I dont know if I made any sence at all to you, but if it did, give me a reply. **Guitar is being re-finished too** Thanks guys- Scott

Hi Scott welcome to the forum :D

One method I know of is to route out the entire area on top and on the back and fill them with two boards which actualy overlap each other in the middle of the body. This doesn't look pretty though unless your going to hide it under a solid paint job.

What kind of finish did you have in mind?

I am going to paint it. I am good at that stuff... I was thinking about a Very Bright metal flake Green. Have you ever seen Alien Ware computers? Well they have a color like I want. If I have done this right, a picture of a computer with that Color on it will show up .prd_cyborg_green_gaming_large.jpg. Its a great color,,, I think... I was also wonder, Since Ive just recently started spraying on wood (most expierience with metal) surfaces that ive getting Orange Peel... I was wondering how to get rid of this orange peel, and still have a Glossy finish.. -Thanks Scott

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Scott D.' post='5541' date='Mar 23 2003, 10:46 PM']
Hey all,
I am redoing a Dean - Eighty Eight. I have a passion for making things custom, or just to modify. I am getting rid of the Floyd Rose, and Putting in a string through body hardtail bridge. This body isnt routed like a normal floyd rose guitar, it does NOT have the ressessed cavity for the floyd rose to sit in, its just a hole for the T to go into, then it just sits on the body, so its not a big hole (this is in the front of the body). I was first thinking about just leaving the cavity in the BACK of the guitar where the T goes to string the bridge, and then filling the rest of the cavity were the 2 screws and the springs are for the floyd, or any trem for that matter. I was wondering if there would be a way, that I could have it, to where I can Fill that ENTIRE cavity with a couple pieces of wood and putty, and still be able to used the Eyelits like in a regular string thru body guitar. I dont know if I made any sence at all to you, but if it did, give me a reply. **Guitar is being re-finished too** Thanks guys- Scott
[/quote]