Padauk tops and backs now rough cut 6/10

Both padauk tops and backs for both guitars are now roughed out... Pictured here is the really cool old coping saw Tim has with he and I using it on our tops and backs... Also pictured is the padauk cut to shape sitting on Tim's guitar... Is that thing cool or what?!! :D

Camelback4.jpg

timguitar1.jpg

timguitar2.jpg

timguitar3.jpg

timguitar4.jpg

Boggs

The belt is loose, but it doesn't seem to slip at all. Actually, I think it would be better to have the belt slip a bit than to bind up such a fine blade and have it break on ya... That could get painful!

The padauk darkens and richens like crazy when it is finished... Really spectacular stuff! We put a thin layer of maple between the padauk and the mahogany to enhance the contrast. When the sides are rounded, this should look spectacular with the padauk being framed by the maple which is in turn being framed by the mahogany... Boggs

What I would do (and may as a "Thank You" to Tim) is make a guard to go over the entire belt and pulley and have an idler pulley come off of the top of it on the slack side to take up excess slack. The trick would be in that the motor has low start-up torque as the cap is a run cap, not a start cap. You have to pull the belt upon turning on the motor to get it started... What do you want for $2 for the motor and $15 for the saw?! :D Boggs

Hey Boggs. I worked with motors for a few years, and I think that the starting switch is the one that is bad(theres a centrifugal starting switch in every motor with caps on top, ...at least usualy). It doesn't look like a running cap motor since this ones used to have the cap by itself on the outside in order to allow you to invert the direction by switching the leads. Check eighter of the end caps to see if you can see the switch in the inside... if there is one the only thing you need to do is replace it or file the contacts clean, use a file and then a 1500 sand paper to "polish" it in order to prolong the life a little bit. If it doesn't have one (starting switch), then like you said, keep spinning the belt until the motor don't run again.

this is a starting cap, and this is how the running cap looks like.