Tropical toucan on a Taylor truss cover

Hi everybody.

This is a commision I recieved while at the First World Guitar Congress.

I also got to meet and hang out a little while with Dave from Myka Guitars (who had an incredible display) and even a few project guitar guys stopped in. Scott R for one.

It was a great week. Dave's guitars are absolutely beautiful, and sound great wether it's jazz or rock or anything. He produces a full range of guitars from solidbody to archtop to acoustic. It was an impressive display.

This truss inlay is made of onyx, gaspeit, yellow corian, turquoise, and light and dark red coral. Thanks for looking as always

Craig Lavin

parrot.jpg

I think that is my favorite on yet, which is saying something because they're all very special. I would say that it's absolutely fantastic, but I should imagine you know that already. It's a pity that you can't keep them all (or send them to me :D )

So whats next week, inlaying the cistine chappel? mona lisa? B)

Muchos kudos dude.

:D awsome job. I so mad I had to miss the convention. It was right next door, but I didn't had the money and the events that I wanted to see were on working hours and I couldn't leave since Igot nobody to replace me. I was looking foward to see MIKA's guitars since they look awsome on pics (can't imagine how good will look in person). may be next time...

An oops fix! Dave's name is MYKA with a Y.

My apologies for the typo!

That's about the only flaw related to his guitars at all that I have seen!

:o)

The exhibition hall was free

Do you think that if I go over there I will be able to hold my self and only go to the exhibitions... Come on, too much good stuff, information, lessons.... could feel my bank account getting thinner, Marty Freidman (Cacophony... ) Could not put my self thru that... :D

I also wrote MIKA, Sorry,YYYYY

truerussian558,

You can get router bits down to 1/32, which is more than adequate for the job.

The hard part is working with the materials so they actually inlay cleanly into something so relatively thin, without going through the back. Sometimes that does happen, but at least it's tha back!

I still used .06 or thicker materials in this piece. I would think most others may use .04 or even .03'. The stone was actually over an 8th in some cases. I had to cut clean to make the joints work.

Craig

Thanks guys for all your as always wonderful comments!

The face and yellow swirl on the beak are corian, and the shading is just the picture, although there is feather "lines" down near the bottom engraved in red.

I use the carbide downcut stew-mac bits. They cost a bit more but they are very much worth it. Go to www.stew-mac.com and you'll find them there.

If your going to do inlay or any other project more than a few times, or wether your selling the final project, or just trying to please yourself (I personally am never happy unless the client is first- luckily this one was total freedom for my materials and image choice- the instructions were soley "do a toucan") then it pays to get the

best tools you can afford. It will show in the quality of your work.

Oh, and the wood type is normal Taylor grade rosewood. Indian I believe.

Thanks again-

coming up soon- sea turtles, a jellyfish knife, a lighning bolt truss cover, and sterling silver Japanese throwing stars in maple (ouch)

Rouiting that should be fun :D

Craig

Craig, glad to see you made it back to the forum so soon. And thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate it.

The World Guitar Congress was a great time. I met some really good people and heard some awesome players. The informal jams by the players stopping by to check out my guitars was enough to keep me satisfied. There is some wonderful talent in the world.

At the congress Craig's inlay booth was across from mine. Craig and I got a chance to hang out quite a bit. His work is world class. I was also blown away by the work he brought. Pictures don't do it justice. He won't admit it but he kicks ass on the guitar as well. :D

That is an awesome toucan, of course. Glad to see you got some work from the congress. It's nice to stay busy.

I was thinking about using sterling silver as an inlay material (in the far, far distant future). Do you mind revealing your general source of silver material - a jeweller perhaps? Can you get silver shaped in a flat form like MOP for cutting, or do you have to form it into sheets before cutting? I assume that under lacquer, it doesn't tarnish?

BTW, you should be proud of the toucan.

I get all my sheet silver in .06 sterling sheet. It's available in many differerent thicknesses in many sizes. Sheet, wire, etc.. it's as easy to work as any shell blank, actually easier because it doesn't ever crack.

I get mine from a jewelry supply, not a jeweler. That's where they get thier stuff from and that's the most inexpensive way. Any metal will tarnish under a finish (it's just much much slower to) but with good quality metals all you need to do is buff it out a litle and everything will be fine. I'm at the near end of inlaying some solid sheet silver "throwing stars" into a maple fingerboard now.

My supplier is Starr gems of Arizona. They are really good. You can also try Thunderbird supply, and a slew of others. Cut it the same as any pearl. With a jewelers saw and the associated blades.

Thanks

Craig L

The jewelry program at my school relies on Rio Grande jewelry supplies. Works for them!

Sterling silver is REALLY NICE to work! Cuts easily, polishes nicely, and does exactly what you want, when you want. The one thing to watch out for is not to melt it when soldering with a blowtorch, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem for you!

Thanks for the silver tips. You can see from my id I have an interest. As I said, sometime in the future. I was thinking about inlaying a silver sheet logo on an ebony headstock. From your notes, that's definitely possible.

Craig, checked out your website. Crazy stuff!!!