square resaw fence

krazyderek

I'm trying to rig up something for my bandsaw so that i can resaw some 8" tall (wide) boards... but i'm not having a whole lot of luck... the extisting fence isn't exactly a "deluxe" model... and the attempts thus far to screw a peice of ply wood to it have been less then spectacular.. so i'm pretty much starting from sratch, any ideas on affordable solide, true, and tall resawing fences?

I have rigged up some square wood book ends that I can clamp down to my table...

not perfect but I use them as guides more or less...

some of the larger billets I have resawed, really don't need such a good fence, I push so slow that I can usually keep it in line.

I have another solution if you don't mind wasting a small amount of wood.

Raise the blade in your table saw as high as it will go, next set the ripfence so the blade is exactly centered on your billet. Run your billet over the saw and flip it and cut again. now take it to the Bandsaw and remove the rest of the material make the billet 2 pieces. Just be careful and don't cut your fingers off :D

well i'd like to save a bit more wood then that, but that's a good backup plan. however one of the peices i need to resaw is only 5/8" thick.. which seems a little to thin for that...

yea I saw the table saw trick in one of the recent wood magazines...

table saws still scare me somewhat. my buddies dad just sliced his thumb open, really bad, so I avoid using it...

In rockler there is a better resaw fence for 199 bucks or something like that.

you mean that 0.080" freud? seen that before, it's about 90$ after tax up here, it's on the wish list for down the road..

i took apart the fence, tighted 2 bolts on it... then tried a couple different types of screws on a particle board, was able to get something satisfactory for now. Used some tape to square up the bottom, which is fine for big peices.

Still took some finess, but i guess that's what project guitar is all about :D

fence01.jpg

fence02.jpg

(the C-clamp is just a tightening handle)

fence03.jpg

What I was trying to illustrate with the tablesaw trick was that if you can't resaw with the bandsaw with less than 1/8" variance in you're cutting line you 'll actually end up wasting less wood with the table saw because you won't have to take as much wood off at the planer to get the boards flat again. It looks like Derek has a decent bandsaw though so he shouldn't need the Tablesaw