isolation box diy

ansil

well i was cleaningout some stuff and i found an article i did for a diy isolation box some time ago. and thought i would share it with you. it was on my website but since it died some time ago i thought while cleaning it out, i would show off some easy and fun things to help us out.

This is a very basic build. its not real labor intensive or electronics intensive. so it thought it would be useful here.

as far as where to get the parts. you might want to check out my free tutorial on how to get buildign supplies for free or dirt cheap. hmm i should post that here too. anyway. you can go to your local grocerie story and ask them if they have any spare "cake icing buckets" tell them you just needed a couple and wnated to know if you could take a few off there hands. now a busy store [like the one i worked at. Bilo#359] will go through about one a day or two every threedays depepnding on time of year. they keep two on average to filter the chiken fryers so that leaves a couple a week that they throw out.

check around your town for any restraunt remodeling and you can ket great 10-18" speakers for free from the pa systems in the ceiling. not the best speakers but nice.

anyway i digress heres the pic.

deadbox.jpg

also you can use any wood for this build. i had these lying around. most of the pgf probaly has better wood than me so i will leave it in your hands..

ISOLATION BOXES BY NATURE ISOLATE THE SPEAKER IN A GUITAR CHAIN FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE. WHEN YOU COUPLE THIS WITH A MICROPHONE IT LETS YOU CRANK UP YOUR AMP WITH LITTLE OR NO NOISE COMING FROM THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. SO ITS A GREAT LITTLE WAY TO MAKE RECORDING IN APARTMENTS AT 3AM A STAPLE.

http://www.amptone.com/isolationboxes.htm

MORE INFO about isloation boxes here..

http://www.amptone.com/g234.htm

oh. okay. nifty.

no need for the capslock. B)

LIbrasry computer.. bad keyboards :D lpus was doing ebay auctions..

• 2 weeks later...
wouldnt all the padding in there make the tone sound dead? :D

Yes, and that's partially the point. It allows you to get the sound of speaker into microphone, without any room sound whatsoever. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the situation. Some styles like, oddly enough, country (the good kind) and metal don't need as much ambient sound as other styles. When you have fast playing, you want as litle ambient noise mucking it up as you can manage.

Or not. Like I said, it depends on the situation. B)

im going to be after a classic rock tone, will this isolation box be a bad idea for me then? :D

No, it'll actually give you more control over your sound - you can add whatever reverb/delay/ambience you like without having to worry about adjusting for the room you're in. Unless you can afford a professional iso booth for your home studio, it's a must if you want real speaker sound as opposed to speaker sims.

i am making two if anyone wants one. i am selling the other probally put it up on ebay.