Paul Reed Smith 513 wiring

AndersEP

It looks like it's all done onthe switching, splitting out coils with the 5 way and phase with the 3 way.

They tend to make most of their own pickups I think, apart from some with use a Duncun in the middle for the strat-ish swamp ash special.

So far as I know, the 5-way is a standard Strat switch and the 3-way selects series, parallel or single-coil for the neck and bridge humbuckers, making the 13 sounds (bridge x 3, bridge + middle x 3, middle x 1, middle + neck x 3, neck x 3). That's what the PRS rep told us, more or less - since they're applying for a patent, they're a little reluctant to be very specific. If they do manage to get a patent, it'll be the lowest point in patent history since Randall Smith got designs from the RCA Tube manual published in the 30's patented. :D

This is off topic, but how many people actually use 13 sounds from a guitar. Not to mention a bunch of them will be very similar. It sucks that they are trying to patent it. I'm sure there are many in this forum that have come up with cooler ideas.

Is the 513 actually on sale and available yet?