Truss rod install... help please.

Just bought a double action truss rod from LMI (took forever to get delivered btw) and got nothing in the way of instructions. Can't find any on their site either. Am I just a bonehead? Don't answer that. I've searched on this topic here and gotten some confusing information.

LMI says on their site that this rod requires an "11/32" – 3/8" depth of slot by 1/4" wide" So does this mean it's a straight slot? If so, why wouldn't the thing just slide right out the end of the headstock? What holds it in? The truss rod cover? :D Is it a friction fit or should there be a slight tolerance width-wise? I also don't know exactly how long to make the slot.

Pictures are good, but sometimes what I need is a good old-fashioned diagram and some general instructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LMI says on their site that this rod requires an "11/32" – 3/8" depth of slot by 1/4" wide"  So does this mean it's a straight slot?

No of course not, a zig zag slot! B) yes just a simple straight slot with a constant depth.

If so, why wouldn't the thing just slide right out the end of the headstock? What holds it in?

Usualy the adjustment hole isn't big enough to let the truss rod slide out of the peghead side of the neck.

Some Necks are designed with the truss rod access the heel of the neck for this exact reason, the truss rod can slide right out of the neck if it ever needs to be replaced.

What holds it in? The truss rod cover? :D  Is it a friction fit or should there be a slight tolerance width-wise? I also don't know exactly how long to make the slot.

Yes it is friction fit, if you routed correctly the truss rod should sit snuggly into the slot and once the string tension is on the neck it's not going anywhere.

The length of the slot is going to be the length of the rod it's self + a small area at the end that's wider then the rod to give you room to work with your allen key. Possition the adjustment end of the rod close to the nut, the exact location will depend on your peghead angle, nut type / string retainer type.

What holds it in? The truss rod cover? :D  Is it a friction fit or should there be a slight tolerance width-wise? I also don't know exactly how long to make the slot.

Yes it is friction fit, if you routed correctly the truss rod should sit snuggly into the slot and once the string tension is on the neck it's not going anywhere.

String tension!!! How could I forget that?! B) I have to remind myself from time to time that this is a musical instrument I am building and not a static wood sculpture. :D