Rio Grande

litchfield

Hi, i've heard the crunchbox and the bastard P-90 in the guitar of Matt Bellamy of Muse. But with all his effects added on top of his guitar sound I don't know how they sound with just guitar amp and maybe distortion. However, I do trust what people sayd and I believe them to be truely amazing pickups (well the humbuckings look good, not looked at singles). I'm getting the punchbox for the neck of my guitar and can't wait till I wire it in and get it working. They are expensive pickups as far as I know. Which ones are you looking at in particular?

They are "muy grande" pickups. I used to put the Muy Grandes and Tallboys in every strat I owned til I started winding my own. As for the magnets, I believe they use both ceramic and alnico. Depends on the pickup. Street price is relatively high and once again depends on the pickup. I would give them a range of $50 - $80 per pickup on the street though. I haven't found them any cheaper than that. Its funny you're asking about them though. That's what I was planning on using in my carrieburst just cause they have the sparkle bobbins. I guess I have competition now. :D

i have several sets of the Muy Grande 7-string single coils. they have large diameter pole pieces like Anderson pickups and rugged metal baseplates and bobbin covers.

they sound fantastic -- a phat pushed texas single coil sound that drives a tube amp front end hard. i play loud, high-gain type tones and the Muy Grandes keep up with my bridge-position humbuckers very well. the Tallboys have normal-size poles and a mellower sound, if you're into that -- i've never heard those.

they were expensive, perhaps because i was ordering the 7-string models direct rather than going through a dealer. i bought my first set partly because very few people even make 7-string single coils, but i loved the tone so much that i bought a second set.