FretBoard/FingerBoard Wood

Hello all i got some brazilian walnut (also Know as IPE, i think) from a friend and wondering would it be ok for a fretboard?

and if not what other wood's could i use, i have loads of Teak, and Brazilian walnut and ash and Beach.

:D

Thanks,....Keith

you know whats great about a fretboard is that you can use any wood that you want.

The harder the wood the more your notes spring off the fretboard, if its hard to cut smells good, and looks cool use it.

Soft woods like quilted maple and alder, basswood, poplar are not always the best...

Most of the expensive guitars out there use really hard woods to get the great tone, gibson uses ebony, and I have seen some other cool woods out there too, satin wood tulip wood king wood, brazilian rosewood, all tough as nails..

whoa thanks lad's, i have loads of the wood, kewl maybee ill keep using it, anyways,

i have the freboard actually cut to shape but i wannna know what wood's could i use for the neck? im not to keen on making it out of Teak, because its the same wood as the guitar, so any sugestions??

also if anyone has some Maple good enough for a Neck, i could swap them some Brazilian walnut?

....Keith

whoa thanks lad's, i have loads of the wood, kewl maybee ill keep using it, anyways,

i have the freboard actually cut to shape but i wannna know what wood's could i use for the neck? im not to keen on making it out of Teak, because its the same wood as the guitar, so any sugestions??

also if anyone has some Maple good enough for a Neck, i could swap them some Brazilian walnut?

....Keith

ipe will also work as a neck...and correct me if i am wrong,but i believe it has been said to need no finish?

might be a very good candidate for a tung oiled neck without any warping problems over the years

i am sorry that i do not have maple at this moment...6 months ago i had a whole bunch of it...now all i have is honduran mahogany,and it is flatsawn..

too bad because i would like some of that ipe :D

any Light coloured Hardwood that would be suitable for a neck? and ill swap you i have loads of brazilian walnut, i could sell you some very cheap, if you are interested?

...Keith

Here's some pics of the wood taking from my webcam, sorry about the shite quality

If the Images dont work click these buttons for the Link:

Click Here 1

Click Here 2

Click Here 3

NeckandWood.jpg

NeckandWood2.jpg

Wood.jpg

well i have all differant sizes, the biggest piece i have is: 77Cm long X 14.5Cm Wide X 2Cm Thick, i also have Smaller Lenghts aswell

Have you got any maple for a neck?

....Keith

BTW, all the wood Fits together, its off a floor, this stuff is 70Euro's a Square Meter.

Edited by Santa Claws