ADVICE NEEDED - used bandsaw

hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a bandsaw... in today's classifieds I have seen this:

BANDSAW, 10" Craftsman. 3 wheel, 45 degree tilt, like new. $120 (Canadian).

I realize that not knowing the model/actual condition of the saw will prevent anyone from a final ruling.. but since I am new to the world of tools I thought I'd ask.. is $120 a good price for this type of thing? If it is in "like new" condition, will this be a useful tool for guitarmaking?

Thanks for your speedy replies (i kinda wanna call this guy if it is good..)

:D

That sounds like the same bandsaw I used to have. It's pretty much useless for guitar making. It would slow down cutting 1/4" thick ebony, trying to cut through a 2" body blank wasn't even possible. The 10" size is really small too if you are trying to cut a body. I would save your $120 and add to it until you can afford a 14" model. Take a look at the IMC line of bandsaws, they are pretty good, especially for the money. You can get them at pro tool city. They have a 14" model for around $350 I believe, and the one with ball bearing guides and a 1 1/2hp motor is around $550 Canadian.

Where in Canada are you located?

10" would be so so, the biggest problem you'll have with the crapsman bandsaw is the motor just doesn't have the power to cut through really thick hardwoods. If you go super slow you'll do it, but you'll burn things out pretty quick too. I think you'll be further ahead saving that $120 and putting it towards a bigger saw.

agreed, from what i've seen at sears craftsman isn't really "la creame de la creame" of economically priced band saws.... save up a bit and hunt for a real deal..

There is an exception, craftsman hand tools, they're awesome, good quality and warranty. Every craftsman wrench, screwdriver, chisel, etc that I've ever bought is as good as snap on or Mac.

Craftsman power tools are not very good though. When compared to say a porter cable, or delta, or something of similar price, the craftsman falls short almost every time. When I was looking at bandsaws and edge sanders, I looked at craftsman as well, but the price was the same or higher on the craftsman stuff, and the quality lower, or if not the quality, the size, power, etc.

I am a huge fan of their handtools, but will never buy another craftsman power tool again.

Oh, if you use them at all, they do make nice air tools as well, but expensive.

Hi BMA,

I have a 10" Delta band saw that I cut 2" ash on with no problems. While I don't zip through the wood like butter, I don't have to crawl through it either. The Delta unit is about US$100.

Take care,

Guitar Ed