My guinea pig...

Ok, I finaly got my guitars that were collecting dust in Iraq and I started gutting the Squier. after the first cut I can show you the heart of almost all of them, DSC00702.jpg

plywood :D , Well what can I say, thats why it's my TEST guitar! I opted for trying something like the Ibanez contour back and theh new American Fender in one... and this is what came up

DSC00707.jpg

also I wanted to scallop the neck having done my LP DSC00505.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

but B) , this maple is hard as rock, I have filed, sanded, dremeled, drilled. And it still looks crooked to me, a;lso the 12 fret lost it's inlays :D , since I didn't notice how deep I was going. On this Squiers and I guess most of the black dot inlays, be carefull, they are extremely thin, I discovered that because I tried to set one in it's place and it whent down about 3/32", so I pushed all of them down but still manage to go thru the 12th's. O well, got to go do more sanding to try to finish this today, It wont be painted nice, since it will be the donor of the components for my first made from scratch guitar, or if I get PSst I will by one and put the pickups on it...

yes it is, :D , I'm only seeing what I can do and how... I don't have a work area like I said, only a small area in the back and inside the house, and I am confined to a very small area inside thats why you see everything all cluter up. I'm working this week end in Ft Meade from 1100-1100 so I ain't got time to do much, hopefully on monday I will be able to do somenthing... I wasn't planning on painting it but this will be spot painted only in the back just to get that ugly plywood out of sight. I went and checked some 8/4 wood that was brought to the on-post wood shop and the only thing they got is mahogany, I will wait until getting the funds for the neck (carvins) to do the guitar...

hmmm... Man scalloping is trhe flavor of the month here, I think almost everybody has done at least one. This was a hurry job, since I'm only practicing on this guitar. I got a R Rhoades imitation that a friend gave me all broke and that will be the next, I want to get as much practice before I get to do my own... but the LP on top is mine, that's my first try at scalloping. with out a dremel contour sander, I would not start my guitar uintil I get everything that I need, I want to do it right.

Ok, today I finished the Squier. I painted the rear with Rust Oleum Vintage White, like I said only the rear was painted, I didn't care much since must of the parts in the Strat will be part of my next guitar or Kit that I make. This is what came out to be,

DSC00742.jpg

DSC00744.jpg

Here the head stock was painted so that who ever sees it don't !!! why did I wasted the pickguard on a Squier, (better to think of it as a kit guitar),

DSC00745.jpg

and a shot of the KH-21. I plan on modifying this since when I mute the first 3 strings the volume knob gets in the way of my hand, will get a concentric dual vol pot from EMG to have both vol on one, plus a new pickguard with only the lower two holes.

DSC00743.jpg

I think is not too bad for a Squier.

• 2 weeks later...

Well fter 2 weeks waiting to see if the paint dried, it was still wet. I decided to remove the paint and try another one, I had a can of Krylon yellow, sorry no pics of this stage. And that one turn out good, with the only problem that the paint was like a candy and everytime that I color sanded the base color to get rid of the orange peel the next coat will look darker an places and lighter on others.

so I decided to get duplicolor paint since i have used this before to paint parts on both my S-10 and Jimmy with good results ( I don't know why I didn't used this before), I did 1 coat of primer, scuffed with 400 grit dry, 2 coats of blue, striped with some pinstripe stuff and 3 coats of clear, wait 24 hrs and color sand with 600 grit wet, 3 coats of clear and this is what I came up with,

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

Sorry for the mess, the weather changed suddenly and I had to throw everythin in the storage, this is were I leave the guitar to dry over night, tomorow if the clear is dried I will color sand again to try and bring the pinstripes down a little bit more. I will never use any other product, I was thinking about ordering re-ranch, but with duplicolor a 5 minute drive, and all the color they have availacle! I think not, well maybe for that see thru blue, it looks way cool to let it pass.

Well maybe it WAS a Squire but not anymore!

Really like the color and stripes....very original look.

Presume you'll put the pearloid guard back on with the EMGs. Think that's gonna look a lot better then Malmsteen clonish look it was.

Can't wait to see the finished pics. :D

Brian

Ok, some more progress today, I painted the cavities with semigloss black (rustoleum brushed), and I color sanded (600) and shoot 2 more coats of clear, I must admit that this doesn't look like a Squier anymore! Tomorrow I will colorsand all the way to 2000 and depending on the clear I will start polishing Sunday morning. This is how it looks now.

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00797.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

The lines are almost gone when you look from the sides but Ican tell you that they will never disapear when look straigh at them... :D , but it's ok, I will not waste more money on this one, for the next body I will try to find a nice stencil to play with, no more tape unless it is a solid color line or brand decal...

I already thave the paint for the Les Paul top, it's this , with plenty of clear on top... , so I will be saying goodbye to the thin veneer finish on my flamed maple cherry sunburst Epi LP and it will become the Gold/Magenta from that page.

I already thave the paint for the Les Paul top, it's this , with plenty of clear on top...

That's too funny, I'm going with the same MIRAGE (Purple/Green) on a Tele with a white pearloid guard like yours. I've got two kits and already asked Dupli-Color (Sherwin Williams) and found out the big cans TS-125 (Truck SUV Clear Coat) is compatible with the DS-125 clear coat that comes with the kits. I got two extra cans of clear but can run down to WalMart and get more if needed.

Brian

yes they are, here is a copy of the e-mail they send me,

Francisco,

Thank you for your prompt reply. You can use the following clear coatings as a substitute for the Dupli-Color Mirage Clear Top Coat:

Dupli-Color Professional Clear Lacquer - DPL 106

Dupli-Color Truck, Van, & SUV Clear Top Coat - T125

Dupli-Color Touch-Up Clear Top Coat - DS125

Dupli-Color Clear Lacquer - DAL 1695

Dupli-Color Crystal Clear - DA 1692

Sincerely,

Ray

On the issue that you have 2 cans, I will suggest you go and grab another 2, 1 can is hardly enough for 3 coats, I do 1 coat consisting on 3-5 passes and the passes ain't too thin either, they are wet passes after a dusted one. And I have already gone thru almost 4 cans, 3 2/3 to be exact. After the 3 can the paint started to get a lot of depth, can't wait to start colorsanding, I think I might start with 800 since there are almost no orange peel on the finish right now, remember to keep it to 3 coats a day, wait 24 hr, more or less and color sand before the next 3, that's what I did, and I haven't got a run or any issues other than on the inside of the horns the base coat wrinkled a little bit, I guess that the wood was humid or maybe some contamination from I don't know what., Also after colorsanding, I made sure that I let the guitar dried, and that I removed all the soap residue and after that once dried, I passed a tach cloth to get any foreign particles, and after about 2-4 hrs before the 2nd and 3rd coat, passed the tach cloth too., I know this sounds confusing, I'm thinking in spanish and translating so, I'm sorry if I don't make much sense, I kinda followed the instructions on the re-ranch site, just that with acrylic it dries a little faster than nitro.

Making complete sense, thanks! I've taken a lot into consideration on using the Mirage and even linked to pics of someone who did it on a Saga HC-10 kit. They used the same one you're going to so heres the Linky.

They used 3 coats of primer, 5 coats of color, and 7 coats of clear. I think the clear needed more so I'm expecting to do more, but guess that cans aren't going to go as far as i thought. :D

Keep us posted.

Brian

Ok, today I colorsanded all the way to 2000 grit, and since the clear appeared to be hard enough I decided to start polishing. I used kit scratch out haze & scratch remover. This is clear coat safe. Here are some pics of were I'm at right now.

DSC00807.jpg

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

as you can see, all the hard work colorsanding paid off at the end, I didn't haved to use a lot of work to bring this to this state B) , Only that I had a little problem, the bottom part of the body got really small dings from sitting on top of the towel while I did the front, so I decided to leave it alone for 1 more day, and check it tomorow to finish polishing.

The only problem I had with the finish wa sthis

DSC00813.jpg, I don't know if you can see it, but the base coat got wrinkled in the inside of the cutaway area, it happened on both sides and on the bottom of the left side, where the guitar rest on your leg while playing, nowhere else, but as you can see on the next photo if you see it from the side, the clear coat is smooth, so I won't bother with this.

DSC00814.jpg,

If all is dried tomorrow, I mount the pickguard and jack, so more updates tomorrow. :D

Finaly I got it together... I will be leaving it alojne in a closet until the finish completely cures, still getiing some softness on the top... But it didn't get damaged or anything while putting it together. I put strings on it and tuned it to E to see it there was anything to be adjusted, and the intonation was right on spot... and to my sorprise, the resonance that the guitar use to have when playing Eb was not there B) , I can't explain why, the only difference was that I used that thick black paint inside the cavity? Maybe that was the problem! Routing the inside and not covering the wood. I used to ring for a secont or 2 when ever I muted the strings, even with the noise gate all the way up, you could hear the guitar even without being connected, like if the wood was still vibrating even thought I had my hand over all the strings. Well here are the pics, I may be posting a surprise with this guitar :D .

DSC00849.jpg

the whole guitar

DSC00858.jpg

the pickguard and front

DSC00865.jpg

the new side contour

DSC00861.jpg

and the new neck contour.

I must admit that the neck feels way cool now, no more of that square bump in the way when going up the frets... And the neck got a full scallop to.

I did, but I filled the holes with Marglass and then painted it black. Since it's scalloped I won't be touching it with my finger, it won't get damaged :D , I put the Guitar in the GOTM, I know Drak and MzI will blow mw out of the screen but it's my first time taking so much trouble fixing a guitar to my likingn that I decided to post it, I hope it won't be the last I post there!!!

Sure it won't be the last. I personally really like it. Granted it's minorly a bitl like one I am going to do but it's got character! Your stripe is unique, the color is great and the fretboard is the icing on the cake. Looks the figure of the wood got better on the board. I'd give it an A+ for converting a Squire into a real guitar. :D