Cleaning Binding

my best guess is to tape off everything you dont want the finish screwed up. make sure you tape it off really well and then simply ajax the binding until it gets lighter. i'm sure it shold be fine by doing it this way. or you could just wipe bleach on but i prefer ajax because its more controllable.

my best guess is to tape off everything you dont want the finish screwed up. make sure you tape it off really well and then simply ajax the binding until it gets lighter. i'm sure it shold be fine by doing it this way. or you could just wipe bleach on but i prefer ajax because its more controllable.

Notice he said 'best guess', hehehe.

Love ya Snorkie, but you'd never catch me doing something like that.

Bleach or Ajax, if it got into the pores between the binding and the wood (and it probably would, no matter how well you tape off), will soak into the pores, expand the wood, and lift the finish, you could massacre a finish like that. Bleach is mostly water. Usually 3-5% Sodium Hypochlorite, the rest (95-97%)...is water. :D

And bleaching the finish isn't something I've EVER heard of doing before, probably because it really can't be done.

I don't really think there is a way to whiten binding w/o scraping the finish off of it, that's what is yellowing anyway, as already stated. And scraping the finish off would, well, it's just not the best idea is all...my opinion only, of course...

Thanks guys. Yeah the yellow binding doesnt look to bad as the rest of the guitar looks great with beaut inlays and for its age, great sunburst finish. Just thought I'd ask here to see what others thought about yellowing binding. It doesnt alter the great look of the axe so I'll leave it be. Dont want to accidently do any damage to it.

bad_advice.gif