Beginning my Randy Rhoads neck thru

Well, I've cut out the neck and body core, and routed the pickup cavities. I'm going to put a top on the guitar, so I'm not too concerned about the straightness of the pickup cavities. I want to make sure that they're wide enough and deep enough.

The wood is spruce (I can't buy any good hardwood in my hometown). I've got to route out the truss rod channel next, and then I'll glue the wings on.

Click here http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=262396893105 for a photo.

This guitar will be based on the LTD series. Spruce is not my first choice, but I've spoken to a few folks who have worked with Spruce in the past, and they say it's pretty stable. It's an experiment. The good news is that if it snaps, I'm not out of a lot of money.

I will see.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Slight change in plans: I realized that I had enough maple for a set neck guitar, and I've already angled the headstock 10 degrees, and I'm getting ready to route the truss rod channel today. I've got the neck profile and tenon drawn out. The body is poplar and I've routed out the pickup and trem cavities.

This is a very slow progress for me. The slower I go, the less chance for a major mistake. I'll post some pics soon.

:DB)

This guitar will be based on the LTD series.  Spruce is not my first choice, but I've spoken to a few folks who have worked with Spruce in the past, and they say it's pretty stable.  It's an experiment.    The good news is that if it snaps, I'm not out of a lot of money.

I will see.

No you might not be out alot of money, but you could be out tons of time and effort. Why not put carbon fiber rods in there, that will erase any doubt about your wood being stable enough. I put carbon rods in any neck wood beside maple, and sometimes even maple if I don't like the way the grain runs. Just a thought.

Matt

Disaster has struck!!! :D

The saw jumped, the neck is now in two pieces. I have to start over from scratch.

Oh well, I'll try to work with my "spruce goose", and route three channels for the neck (1 for the truss rod, 2 for the graphite rods to stabalize the neck).

B)

Disaster has struck!!! :D

The saw jumped, the neck is now in two pieces. I have to start over from scratch.

Oh well, I'll try to work with my "spruce goose", and route three channels for the neck (1 for the truss rod, 2 for the graphite rods to stabalize the neck).

B)

OMG, what happened?? PHOTOS!!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well, I have to start completely over. The good new is that Ronny at guitarbuildingtemplates.com has cut me a template for this guitar (thanks Ronny!).

As soon as I get that, I can begin again, with a better idea of what I need to do. I will keep everyone posted.