Help!

Hi!

I live in Israel and im gonna strip and repaint my Ibanez RG570.

let me reiterate: I live in Israel- i'ts practically the 3rd world when it comes to supplies and stuff like that... so i need help on the generic level (don't give me specific product names for example- dosent do me much good)

i have 2 main questions:

1. how hard will it be to sand it down so its even and smooth? (i know a thing or two about sanding but am in no way an expert)

2. applying clear\laquer- what type should i use? i read here that you mostly recommend spray types but i know someone who painted on 3 or 4 coats of laquer and he says its a good result.

PS: im going to do some artwork on it so the clear has to be, well, clear.

thanks alot- i can tell this forum is packed with people who know what their doing!

i hope to get into the building phase a bit later on... for now, this will be a good learning experience, and hopefully, look real cool! :D

nice to be here...

i read some of the tutorials and they gave me some pretty good ideas, but they also bombarded me with lots of multi-sylabel brand names that i remember from chemistry class LOL...

just wanted to know what kind of thing i should look for

i.e what the can\bucket of paint\laquer say on it (fit for this an that) or what to stay clear of (certain components and such)

Isreal has lots of sand, glue it to some paper and make sandpaper B)

Just joking. I'd like to point out that I'm in no way an expert but this is what I'd do:

Sand through the laquer down to the paint level. I wouldn't sand back to the wood for 2 reasons 1- It's a pain in the backside and 2- you might need to seal it again afterwards.

Key up the surface and prime it.

Do your art work.

Spray or brush on the laquer. Sanding between coats (some people say sand every coat, some say every couple, personally I haven't got a clue).

It miht be a bit of a long shot but if you get stuck for paint and laquer you could try a car garage, quite a few people here use car paints to do the guitar.

Good luck and welcome to the forum :D .

But just remember, I'm no expert but I'm sure someone will come along and offer their advise soon

Welcome to the forum HetMasteen :D

First question I have for you is what type of finish are you trying to achieve? The reason I ask is if it is a solid color or something simular you might just want to hand sand the surface to give it what is called "tooth". That is taking off the top shiney surface so the paint has something to grab on to. You can do most of that with a block of wood and a piece of fine grit sand paper.

it's gonna be off white color with big black lettering... but i have to remove all the paint because its badly chipped in a lot of places and the wood is showing...

DAMN- i went to the hardware store today and the guy there knew NOTHING... im going crazy!

let me run this by you fokes:

ill sand it with various grits (40, 150, 200 etc...)

put some primer on it (does the color matter? cuz i only found grey primer)

paint it (hopefully spray paint)

spray a couple of coats of vinear (gloss type)

does that sound right?

PS: if i sand between coats of vinear, wont that make it matte? will it retain clarity?

Starting out with 40 grit is a bit harsh but I understand the type of finish your trying to take off so go easy with it once you've broken the surface and start changing grits to a higher count.

Be sure to use a flat block for the top and the back of the body and move around alot since doing this all by hand will take not only plenty of patience but you don't want to end up with a wavy looking surface once you have completed the sanding.

Prime it with the grey and inspect the entire body for flaws, take care of them right then and there untill it is perfect to your satisfaction because once you hit it with the color they will be twice as hard to correct and primer is cheap (not to mention it dries fast too generally).

Once you have the color coats down if you have put a graphic or combination of colors masking one from the other expect to have lines visable as you look across it at an angle but don't freak out.

Hit it with a minimum of 3 coats of clear and make sure they are totally dry before a light sand to level it out again, Just a light sand using no lower then say a 800-1200 grit paper (preferably the 1200 grit).

Hit it again with 3 more coats and let dry (generally 2-3 days is good if you have any humidity at all. This time step up the sanding to an even higher grit say 1600 or finer and remember to use the block but be very gentle and don't take to much off at all, your just trying to level it off at this point.

Repeat as necessary going finer and finer as you move along, the light sanding of the clear will dull the finish but in the end you will be at a point where you can buff out the paint after waiting 2-3 weeks for it to totally clear and shiney.

I know your excited and you really didn't want to :D how long it will take plus the patience part on the sanding is very important.

Just take your time and remember the most important part is that your finish will only be as smooth and flat as the base coat (primer) so watch out for those little imperfections.