emg wiring question

guitarmonky55

ok so im going to wire up my emgs into my sg, but i have a slight bit of confusion on the provided diagrams. im going to be wiring up a 3 way switch with 2 tone/2 volume controls.

there is one diagram labeled for a gibson les paul, and it shows the wire from the switch going to the outer terminal of the volume pot and the hot from the pickup going to the middle terminal.

there is a second diagram labeled simply 'diagram 2' and it says each volume acts as a master volume, im not sure how to take this. the wire from the switch is connected to the middle terminal of the volume pot and the hot from the pickup is on the outer terminal, but other than that the two diagrams are the same.

is the gibson les paul one different for some reason of them using a different switch wiring config or is the second diagram merely an alternative for a different volume effect?

Use diagram 1 - diagram 2 is a bad idea that makes the volumes interact with each other. If you use diagram 1, the pickup's respective volumes will remain the same with both pickups on. With diagram 2, both pickups will default to the lower of the two volume setting when both pickups are on.

Use diagram 1 - diagram 2 is a bad idea that makes the volumes interact with each other. If you use diagram 1, the pickup's respective volumes will remain the same with both pickups on. With diagram 2, both pickups will default to the lower of the two volume setting when both pickups are on.

This is correct, I wired my ZW set and had the problem, also, believe it or not with the diagram 1, when I just change my battery I get a little of volume bleed between the pich ups.